Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Intermittent suspension warning light, could it be snow packed in the wheelwell

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent suspension warning light, could it be snow packed in the wheelwell

For the last few months I've been seeing the suspension warning light come on intermittently. It sometimes goes off if I turn the car on and off, but more often not. Once in a while the height adjustment doesn't work for a drive or two but it always seems to right itself and the light goes off with a little time. When it does happen I notice that I can't turn the Stability control off and once or twice the lights for stability control and ABS have come on with the Suspension light.

The more I think about it whenever I get the warning lights there is significant snow packed hard and frozen into the wheelwells.

Has anyone else seen a correlation there? Is the dealer even going to find anything if it is intermittent?

Unfortunately I live 200 miles from the nearest dealer and don't have a Vag-Com tool so I haven't gotten it checked out yet. I made an apt. for the car to be flatbeded to the dealer at the end of the month when I know I'll be in Glenwood Springs to pick it up.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its happened to me... (so who else?)

It was the ABS Control module. Once replaced, it never happend again.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My snow pack story

In the Boston area we had a nice snow fall around the second of January. I think the North Shore got upwards of 30" of nice powder. So I take my son and his friend out for a ride to Gloucester to see the waves. We go to Good Harbor Beach and drive down the street just to the left of the parking lot. We get to the end and my son jumps out to get a closer look at the waves.

The street takes a sharp left up a hill so I decide I will go up and turn around. I start up the hill and decide there is really no place to turn around, I back down. The road is narrow and not very well plowed as the storm is just starting to wind down. I back into a snow bank and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree and I'm stuck.

I have one wheel that spins and the wheels on the ground do nothing. Traction control disabled, car is in jack mode and I can't get it out of that mode, ABS is disabled.

I send my son to knock on doors to find a shovel so we can dig out. A guy with a plow shows up and has two shovels in his truck so my son's friend and I start to shovel out. My son shows up with another shovel and we are free.

The car is still not happy. Front end up all the way and rear end down all the way. Turned the car off and started it again to no avail. I drive my son to drop off the shovel and the couple looks at the allroad and say "Audi wouldn't like this incident in a commercial".

Limp home have the car in the garage but its too cold for the snow to melt. Go to Home Depot and get 2 of the cheapest space heaters I can buy and place them near the rear tires. About 8 hrs later start the car and all is well again.