Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Internet Buying Service Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet Buying Service Experience

What has been the experience of members of this forum with online automobile buying services? Is there a service that you stands out?

A few days ago, I went to Autobytel.com and posted a request for a quote on an allroad specifying color, interior and accessories. Later, I went to Edmunds.com and did much the same for Audi dealers near my area code.

Autobytel sent me an email confirming my application, assigning me a customer number and telling me that a named person at Audi of Huntington [NY] would contact me. So far, he has not. And I have heard nothing further from Edmunds.

Is this sort of indifference and lack of response typical of online buying services?

I am looking for an Atlas gray allroad with leather, nav and most of the accessory packages. I know that cars with navigation are in short supply but I see no reason that I should not have received a quote on a car that would have to be ordered or do the dealerships that respond to these services use them mainly as a way of unloading cars already in inventory?
Old 01-23-2002, 03:55 PM

Default I used carsdirect.com to buy my girlfriends car....

and I had a great experience. They instantly emailed me to confirm my order, I was contacted within 24 hours with the exact description of the vehicle that I ordered, and once I approved it they delivered the vehicle. On top of that I spent 2 weeks prior to ordering trying to find the best deal, I tried brokers, personal contacts, and any other means possible, and carsdirect still gave me a better deal. I wish I bought my car through them. Truely a pleasant experience... Highly recommended.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Internet Buying Service Experience

I think what you have to realize is that no matter which service you go with, all they do is forward your request to some local dealers who have conracted with them. Your success will depend more on the dealer gets your info than the internet service you use.

I found that in my several attempts to buy a car exclusively online with no dealer contact (which I usually find most unpleaseant) is pretty much impossible. Every time the dealer demands to speak to you on the phone and talk you into something else. Now, I think carsdirect.com is an exception in that you can choose to let them do everything and all you do is pick up the car. They quote AR price as $2K over invoice.

I was put in touch with my dealer by a colegaue whom he used previously through a referral from autobytel. He is the internet sales person at the dealership and was a pleasure to work with. I brought him the printout from carsdirect.com and he accepted their price no questions asked, which makes me think he could have done even better (which he actually did, though thats a long story). He is located in West New York, NJ (about 15 minutes from GWB), which is I think about an hour away from Huntington. If you would like, email me and I will give you his contact info. You can also just see what they have in stock at the site below, and I think if you submit a quote request it goes to him anyway.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bellaviaaudi.com">Bellavia Audi</a></li></ul>
Old 01-23-2002, 05:05 PM

Default Why does carsdirect require a credit card number?

After reading your message, I went to carsdirect.com. There were a few software oddities but generally it worked well and I got a very good price quote. However I balked when it asked for my credit card number even though it said that nothing was being charged. I clicked on the link that sought to explain why this information was required and found only some vague language.

My impression is that the site is harvesting credit card numbers, email addresses and other personal information. That impression was bolsterd when a "black dot" link to a $115 bonus led to a number of semi-sleezy offers for magazines and phone services. Lots of pop-up windows etc.

In the end, I balked. I did not see any reason to provide my credit card number before I had agreed to anything. I wish that I felt more comfortable with carsdirect.com because their basic service -- and price -- seemed excellent.

For the record, they seem to have quoted a price of $43,922 for an Atlas gray allraod with tip, convenience package, premium package, preferred luxury package, nav system and tire pressure monitoring system. That seems a very fair price, is it?