Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

iPod Adapter 8E0 051 444 compatible with Dension iceLink Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Adapter 8E0 051 444 compatible with Dension iceLink Plus?

Hello,

i recently let my Audi dealer install the original iPod Adapter (Part No. 8E0 051 444) in my Audi allroad 2.5TDI Apr-2004 with factory-installed RNS-E, Bose Soundsystem, CD-Changer, Steering Wheel with audio controls.

To start off, a hint regarding connecting:
My dealer obviously de-installed the CD-changer harness and connected the new harness from RNS-E to iPod Adapter box without realising that the speed signal, k-line and Bose pin would get lost, leading among other issues for being unable to navigate when GPS satellites are out of sight. This issue could be resolved meanwhile by re-configuring the car mounted wires to the quadlock connection of the cd changer interface.

Helpful were the information at www.nsxjr.com, especially http://www.nsxjr.com/ted/TED_RNS_E.pdf to explain my dealer what went wrong ;-)

What I don't like about the original Audi Adapter is that I have no chance to directly control the Ipod, just via the MMI interface I have access an 5 playlists + all titles (CD 1-6).

As I read in diverse places in the Internet that the original iPod adapter is beinmg produced by Dension, I wonder if it's possible to upload the newest Dension Firmware (should be 2.17) to the Audi adapter.

Has anyone tried this so far?
I ask because I fear to make things broken.
Die Dension Firmware 2.17 gibt's hier:

The firmware ist available at e.g.
http://www.car-audiosystems.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcateg oryid=28&pcid=20&nav=0,20

I'd appreciate confirmation on the Audi iPod adapter being a Dension device.
Furthermore, anyone out there who uploaded new firmwares to the Audi iPod Adapter?

Best regards

Sven
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes....

glad my pdf helped you out in this scenario.

I am 99% sure that the 12 pin molex connector from the audi ipod unit is the exact same pin configuration as the icelink. You just need to swap the Audi "black box" for the icelink shrinkwrapped pc board. Very easy.

Yes, that is one downside to the audi version. Too much liability for a car manufacturer to sell something that could potentially cause accidents. See what I mean? Which is weird because the Audi version puts the audi logo onto your ipod screen....but yet audi wants you to keep it tucked into you glovebox. Weird.

Good luck!
-Ted
Old 09-12-2006, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Yes.... -> Do I need to change the black box?

Ted,

thanks for Your big experience.

Anyway, my question relates to: Do I have to swap the Audi black box with the Dension black box?

Or may I upload the Dension firmware to the Audi blackbox?

This is what I wonder.

Best regards

Sven