Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Just curious -- if you lived in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just curious -- if you lived in Florida

or anywhere else where slush, snow, ice isnt an issue. Would you still get an audi quattro?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default absolutely...

you ar thinking of Quattro as 4WD, something to use when the road gets rough and only during those adverse times.

This is why Quattro is a full time system, because it makes a difference in day to day driving, the way it holds the road, responds for turns. You may never feel it, but its always working.

Some of us who take 25 MPH Ramps at 50 MPH..know it works, or we drive on twisty cliff roads at higher than normal speeds becaus 4 wheels moving you handle better than two.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Once you've driven a quattro on a road course..

you will very quickly get over the notion that its only something that is used/needed in bad weather. On dry hot pavement, an Audi with quattro will out handle/perform one without any day, all day. I would argue that those that dispute the fact, have not really driven with quattro in full effect.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm a firm believer in quattro.....now. )
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmm...

dont get me wrong -- I love my quattro. BUT -- every one of audi's offerings is on the portly side of its respective classes, and its mpg is also on the lower side. I hear the argument that four wheel traction is better than 2 wheel. And in terms of putting large amounts of power to the best use, awd is probably the best. However -- many, many track cars are driven very quickly by skillful drivers with 2 wheel drive. In fact the vast majority of racing cars are 2wd. I suspect that light weight and 50:50 distribution of that weight is more important to a good track car than our haloed quattro system. For me in an environment where slippage is not an issue (ice/snow/slush) I'd probably opt for a well-balance rwd car. I think the lower weight and better mpg would be a worthwhile trade off.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't rule it out, but I would be more open to RWD

Lived in Dallas for a long while. BMW and 18-19 inch rims a nice year round option down south.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well, if you decide to dump the ar, sell me your snow wheels. ;o)
Old 05-11-2006, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not sellin, not sellin, not sellin

-- remember purely hypothetical
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default apples and oranges

totally agree, for racing proposes RWD is 99% majority and for the most part the best performer. However, race track driving versus daily driving are two totally different skill set.

Those that go to DEs in the higher run groups will know that there's even two different lines around the track. The DE line, and the racing line. Racing line is much more aggressive, designed to be able to run with and pass traffic, incorporating throttle steer and slip angles at almost every turn. For DEs the goal is to drive the ideal, smoothest line. This is why I'd much rather be in my 944 at the track than my Audi any day.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my wife....

...Her first car was a mercury (german) Capri 4 speed RWD and then my RWD Celica 5 speed, flowed by FWD Audi 4000 and 5000, FWD Mazda 626 ES V6 , 4Wd 4Runner and Isuzu Trooper, followed by the A4 Q and the A4 Q Cab, in her own words..."I will never drive a non Audi...never a car without Quattro. I don't know or care how it works...I just love it."

Quick Reply: Just curious -- if you lived in Florida