Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Just finished a Valve Cover Gasket replace and then this....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished a Valve Cover Gasket replace and then this....

Hey Guys, I just finished a valve cover gasket and a timing chain tensioner gasket replace and know it seems as if I have an exhaust leak somewhere in the area. Just louder than normal.

I had to loosen up the egr valve feeder tube in order for me to slip off the valve cover. I'm guessing its here where the leak is but I can't tell for sure. I've tightened everything down pretty well. In fact I wouldn't want to torque it down any further.

Anybody ever encounter this and have any good leads for me?
Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Beats_77
Hey Guys, I just finished a valve cover gasket and a timing chain tensioner gasket replace and know it seems as if I have an exhaust leak somewhere in the area. Just louder than normal.

I had to loosen up the egr valve feeder tube in order for me to slip off the valve cover. I'm guessing its here where the leak is but I can't tell for sure. I've tightened everything down pretty well. In fact I wouldn't want to torque it down any further.

Anybody ever encounter this and have any good leads for me?
It's your egr, there is a gasket there make sure it's on correctly, and the only reason it's passing exhaust fumes is because it wasn't tightened correctly. Put a small amout of rtv if anything
Old 07-19-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yep, had this happen to me too when I changed the pass side VC gaskets. I pulled the combi valve from the head to make sure it was clean, and when I pulled the second bolt the gasket fell into the abyss. I used a gasket from the driver's side valve because it has a third bolt hole in which you can bolt it to the back of the head and then install the valve without worrying about dropping the gasket again.