Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Less than an hour after I filled out the AoA Customer Care form, I received a call (DIS related)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you say that about the 6 speed?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This had been known since 2000 or so when they first started crapping out.

Audi is well aware of it.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Who knows, maybe one of these days (years later) they will do something about it.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Several reasons....

Known 6 speed issues. (granted most are caused by the user, but still common)
-Syncros, bent shift forks, clutches, shifter issues.

Known TIP issues.
-Bad seal in TC. (not HP/TQ related but simply a bad seal used in some cars)

Every other issue I have found with the TIP seems to be either A) total rumor(meaning I have never been able to track down the actual real person to talk to about it) or B) has been an isolated event and we have no significant track record to prove anything yet.

I have been researching the subject heavily for about 3 years. I am currently running a full Stage 3 TIP with only an upgraded TC and Tip-chip. Last dyno was 370whp/431WTQ. Car is MUCH faster than when I did that dyno. Car has been modified most of it's life and currently has 128K on it.

FWIW it is actually more expensive to build a good performance 6 speed transmission than to have a HD Tip built. (of course both are in the 5K range)
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default mine is on it's way out - (covered by cpo???)

always has faded at high temps.
now there are a couple of lines that are randomly missing. any ideas whether this particular part/defect is covered by CPO?
j.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you will find..

more than a few stock or simple chip allroaders who have TC or tranny issues.

Out of our entire board population, there has never been a 6 speed failure reported. Keep in mind the 6speed on the ar is different than the S4. Final drive, ratios, etc. all different.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You will find that the TC problem is a bad seal and has nothing to do with power.

It is simply a case of Audi using the wrong material for the seal. Newer cars have an updated seal and don't have issues.

I would imagine that the percentage of Allroaders banging gears is smaller than those with S4s. Combine that with the smaller total percentage of highly modified Allroads and you are probably right in saying that there are few/zero failures. This is definately not the case with the S4 crowd.

I have done zero research on the Allroad 6 speed. What exactly is different compared to the S4 6 speed?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 PM

Default My '98 A6Q had it's display replaced at 40K, and the allroad was replaced at 35K...

so the fact that "heather" said AoA had no knowledge of it is a crock. All C5 chassis cars from '98 on have this issue. My dealer has said in the past that the digital displays are as bad as the A6 control arms.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Digital Information System. Nappy, more for you inside...

There is something holding my car back and I don't know what that is. The hybrids are supposed to boost up to 20psi and taper a bit (according to Buehn), but my hybrids will only boost to 14 or 15 psi and hold. Of course I'm still on stock fueling. Currently I have all RS4 components (MAF, injectors & airbox) for a homebrew fueling set up.

I just got a Ross-Tech vag com so I plan on doing logs and try and get feedback from the b5s4 guys on what to lemmiwink.

No dyno yet... but I've been meaning to. A couple of guys who've ridden in my car say that it pulls strong. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone k04/16 hybrids. A few more thousand $$, the fueling kit and tuning but it takes the guess work out of the equation.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rallynut/allroad2001, please answer StreetCrawler's question...

What are the differences from the S4 6 speed vrs allroad 6speed.

Quick Reply: Less than an hour after I filled out the AoA Customer Care form, I received a call (DIS related)...