Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Level Control System Sensor; Front Left (G78) - fault

My 2001 allroad with 115,000 miles is now throwing the following error code:

00776 - Level Control System Sensor; Front Left (G78):
Open or Short to Ground

No problem with air spring levels, no settling or drooping overnight, or anywhere or any other time.

Ride height automatic changes with speed function normally -- just drove 600 miles up and down I95 without incident.

Suspension compressor was replaced by the dealer a few weeks ago -- even before the replacement, never had an obvious issue with air spring level (just compressor noise).

Is this just a sensor issue, requiring simple replacement? Anyone know how much they cost, and if they are available outside of a dealer? Any place on the internet sell them?

Clearly, at 115,000 miles I am due for a leaking air bag -- could this code be sue to a leaking bag even though it is not evident?

With no obvious symptoms from the fault (other than the dash light & warning) is there a problem driving the car with it like this? The last 600 mile trip was fine. But I have to go on a 1800 mile round trip in a few days. Should I expect a problem, if I can't get a new sensor before I go?

Finally, what is involved in replacing the Level Control System Sensor; Front Left? Difficult or quick and simple?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the same year allroad and just had the same exact problem. I had a leaking airbag in my case it was the front right. I replaced the airbag and cleared the code and was good to go. Also you might want to take a look at the sensor itself. Alot of times they wire will stretch or brake from normal driving, or the plug will just become unseated, also causing your problem. Very good possibility that could be the case. I would check the sensor wiring and plug first being it could be the cheapest fix. hope this helps.
cory
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm dealing with the same issue. It actually has nothing to do with your suspension. The sensor measures where your suspension is, so it can adjust your headlights accordingly. Audi did this when they started using Xenon lenses so you won't blind other drivers when you hit little bumps in the road.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fftrotter
I'm dealing with the same issue. It actually has nothing to do with your suspension. The sensor measures where your suspension is, so it can adjust your headlights accordingly. Audi did this when they started using Xenon lenses so you won't blind other drivers when you hit little bumps in the road.
Correct...but it's actually European law. Any car with xenon projector headlights must not only have auto-leveling, but must also include headlight washers. Audi decided to use the same system on their imports to the US, even though we have no such regulations here, but really SHOULD....don't know if other Euro car companies include this on their US models(?)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Level Control System

The Level Control System Uses two sensors, Front Left Sensor and Rear Left sensor to examine the status of the car to leveler. All four height sensors in the car are the same, only the arm and the base different. ( the system does not use this option at the right height sensors) You can replace with the Front right sensor. But before that check the Electrical connection of the sensor. And clean them
Start work only when that vehicle in "jack mode "

Last edited by amiram; 08-01-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amiram
The Level Control System Uses two sensors, Front Left Sensor and Rear Left sensor to examine the status of the car to leveler. All four height sensors in the car are the same, only the arm and the base different. ( the system does not use this option at the right height sensors) You can replace with the Front right sensor. But before that check the Electrical connection of the sensor. And clean them
Start work only when that vehicle in "jack mode "
Any chance someone can show me where these sensors are at and how to clean them? I am having the following issue

So I did a oil change on my car, had to lift it, and did not know about "jack mode" or "service mode".

Everything worked fine until that day, then the suspension dash light comes on. Now the front is down all the way but rear is still up in level 2 position.
The compressor is making noise.

What can be going on?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default level sensor

Originally Posted by torturebori
Any chance someone can show me where these sensors are at and how to clean them? I am having the following issue

So I did a oil change on my car, had to lift it, and did not know about "jack mode" or "service mode".

Everything worked fine until that day, then the suspension dash light comes on. Now the front is down all the way but rear is still up in level 2 position.
The compressor is making noise.

What can be going on?

In this case, maybe you need to clear the fault codes from the height control computer and not the height sensors
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amiram
In this case, maybe you need to clear the fault codes from the height control computer and not the height sensors
I will do this as soon as my VAG COM gets here next week until then is the A6...