Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Level Warning mystery

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Level Warning mystery

My 2004 6MT AR spawned a level control warning light (little car with up and down arrows) on the instrument cluster while I was towing a trailer between Michigan and Colorado. I completed the trip (almost 700 more miles) and when I got to 10,000 feet elevation, the car is riding high, a bit more so in the rear than in the front. Everything else works.

So far, I have found a good fuse in the deeply hidden 8-Fold fuse/relay panel, the relay for the system works, I have replaced the level control computer in the back. No changes.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Finally got the suspension system scanned:

DTCs: 10/11/12 4:53 pm - 2 Faults:

- 2C1A1 D060
P/N: 4Z7 907 553 F
Coding: 25500, WSC: 02334

01399 159
Self-levelling suspension compressor relay -J403: Open circuit or short circuit to Ground (GND) [sporadic]

01768 029
Right Level Control System Sensor - voltage supply: Short circuit to Ground (GND)

I can't find a reference to a "right level control system sensor". Is it the front or the rear?

Don't know where the J403 relay is.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought they were only 2 level sensors, 1 each side on the bottom of the front control arms...

I had gotten something similar pointing to the level sensors (don't remember the codes tho)at about 175K miles... all I did was un-plug and check the contacts and re-plugged them both...so far so good; now at 190K miles. Sorry , this prolly is of no help to you !!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Towing loads will affect the level sensors, causing the dash light to come on occasionally. The level sensors will detect any deviation more than 15mm up or down.

Sometimes, when I launch hard from a stop light - the dash light comes on for a second. This is due to the squat of the rear, when first accelerating. I am told this is normal.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said the rear was higher than normal, is this after the car was parked and the trailer removed or with the trailer still connected?

Lower the car, then raise it back up (without the trailer attached). Check to see if the light is still on. Depending on the weight of the trailer, it will occasionally cause the system to detect another level than the one you set it to. For example a heavy trailer and road bumps, or temporary squats. There is a threshold of how long it stays out of level before it triggers the light. Even though the system will compensate by applying more air pressure to the air springs, it will not exceed the limit which can damage the bags and thus the light stays on. This should be only brief/temporary though. (assuming that you did not exceed Audi weight recommendation)

EVERYTHING THAT WAS SAID ABOVE WAS NOT TAKING FROM ANY AUDI LITERATURE. BASED ON THE SYMPTOMS OF THE PROBLEM, I CAME UP WITH THIS EXPLANATION. WHILE I DO KNOW HOW THE SYSTEM WORK FROM THE ELECTRONIC SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM, AUDI NEVER POINT OUT THESE SITUATIONS. LEVEL SENSORS DETECT LEVEL AND THEY KNOW WHEN ITS NOT CORRECT.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There were no lights/responses from the level switches, so I couldn't do anything with the level.

After replacing the level control module (big bucks), the level relay and the level 40 amp fuse (the latter two both tested good) and driving the car a bit, the series of level warning light issues disappeared. I'm going to disconnect the headlight adjuster wiring, clean the connections and reconnect.