Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Manual gear box

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Manual gear box

Gear are getting harder and harder to change.
Likely synchros are wearing out (160k miles now).

Parts to fix are VERY expansive (don't have labor quote yet).
Rebuilding the tranny is $2,500-$3,000 (I remove, install).

Swapping a S4 or A6 manual in does not work without changing axles (I was told; not sure why).

If anyone sees a manual allroad (parting out, junkyard, etc.) or gearbox:

PM, post or email to info@regulatorfix.com
Old 12-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know who has been giving you those prices but that is way too much unless you are replacing every single gear.

1-2 shift collar rebuild is less than $1200 in parts

You can use S4 tranny but you need axels and rear diff. S4 uses better, heavier duty axels. Might be the cheaper route
Old 12-18-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FateXer0
I don't know who has been giving you those prices but that is way too much unless you are replacing every single gear.

1-2 shift collar rebuild is less than $1200 in parts

You can use S4 tranny but you need axels and rear diff. S4 uses better, heavier duty axels. Might be the cheaper route
Yes, only rebuilding 1-2 cost about $1k in parts; price I mentioned was for complete rebuilt.

What exactly comprises the 'axles', what components need to be on my shopping list?

S4 swap also would net the desired longer gearing.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you say "complete rebuild" what are you talking about? I don't know how it would be $3k ever. There is not a need to replace gears unless they are damaged and that is what is expensive.

You can get S4 tranny and related parts for around $1800 used typically
Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When you say "complete rebuild" what are you talking about? I don't know how it would be $3k ever. There is not a need to replace gears unless they are damaged and that is what is expensive.

You can get S4 tranny and related parts for around $1800 used typically
Example here: $2,295 plus 2x shipping (core out, new in).

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/pr...roducts_id=241

Example definition of 'complete rebuild':

"Remanufactured and update Audi Allroad 6 speed manual transmission. Fits all Audi Allroads from 2000-2005. Transmission has been fully updated with improved syncro rings and shift collars."

Same source: 1-2 is $950

Used is obviously an alternative. But as with all used: you never know what you get; may be back to square one after a few thousand miles (or from the day the used gearbox is installed).

I will only consider the used option if low mileage used can be found at 1/2 price of 'complete rebuilt' (i.e. $1,200 or less).

Otherwise: hold out until a) cash flow improves b) current box becomes undriveable.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah that guy charges a lot for stuff. You didn't say $3k included labor though to rebuild it. I thought you were just talking parts. It's not that difficult to work on, not certainly $1,400 hard.

I can rebuild you one for less than that if you want to go that route. Maybe $1k in parts and $600 in labor. Shipping is $150 each way
Old 02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unable to get into reverse gear on a 6 spd manual

Yeah that guy charges a lot for stuff. You didn't say $3k included labor though to rebuild it. I thought you were just talking parts. It's not that difficult to work on, not certainly $1,400 hard.

I can rebuild you one for less than that if you want to go that route. Maybe $1k in parts and $600 in labor. Shipping is $150 each way
Am currently overseas but my wife just told me that she is unable to put the car(2002 allroad 6spd) in reverse gear. She says all the other gears are fine. Do you have any ideas about what the problem is?
Thanks,
John.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I have the reverse problem, too, also in an '02 6mt

So I can see how your wife might think it WON'T go into reverse, but if she pushes it hard, it will (at least for me it does).

I thought the reverse thing might be a synchro issue, but what tranny uses a synchro on reverse? I tested it by pushing the lever to where I thought it should be engaging reverse, then letting the clutch out SLOWLY to feel where the gears are starting to engage. There was no gear engagement, meaning there is some OTHER mechanism that is impeding the movement of the lever (and the gears) into the reverse position. VERY annoying, and it pisses me off that such an expensive car has such a fragile tranny. I'll bet your wife is pissed, too.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was advised to tell my wife to put the gearshift into 2nd and then 3rd before trying to put it in reverse. She did that and it worked for a while but a few hours later after having to slowly drive the car up a long incline on a bridge in heavy traffic, it got worse again and now it won't go into reverse again. It seems like it could be some kind of linkage or line-up problem rather than a synchro issue. I will be in a 5 days and hopefully will be able to figure out what is going on.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John's MTM Allroad
It seems like it could be some kind of linkage or line-up problem rather than a synchro issue. I will be in a 5 days and hopefully will be able to figure out what is going on.
That's what I was thinking with my last post, that it was some sort of linkage or alignment with the shifter mechanism, because if the synchros are bad, typically it's easy to FIND the gear, but it grinds to various degrees when trying to ENGAGE the gear. I'm having the same problem. Let us know if you find anything out.

Quick Reply: Manual gear box