Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

MIL light turned out to be the torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIL light turned out to be the torque converter

Had the car scanned today at the dealer. It takes five days to get the part in from the US and it's a full day's work when it comes in.
Thank God for the extended warranty! This job will pretty much justify the cost by itself.

Based on my lack of power around 1800k RPMs I had been complaining about and two months ago I felt no pickup at about 170km/hr made me wonder if that's what it was going to be after having read the various threads on the topic.

Now I'm concerned about the tranny. Will driving it for a week damage it or it needs more time?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure they are not installing an entire tranny?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thay said the tranny has to come out to install the TC. No mention of new tranny.

I didn't get the codes but they will be on the paperwork once it's done. I'm thinking the vag software with the cable may be a worthwhile investment.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thay said the tranny has to come out to install the TC. No mention of new tranny.

If your getting 17125's and continue to drive you could damage the tranny. I did, took about a month before reverse went. Others have had the same. I would avoid driving the car until you get the new torque converter if you can..
Old 07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I went through all the TC related posts again and it seems consistent those who ignored the code

ended up with new transmissions.

Here's my dilemma. Aside the fact my wife uses the car to drive my daughter to daycare, it would mean being without a car for a week. This we could handle but my main concern is that I noticed the first symptom about two months ago (20/20 hindsight) and wonder if there may already be damage to the tranny. The service tech didn't say anything about not driving it so I will call him in the morning to see what he says.

Since I have the extended warranty it may be in my best interest to continue to drive it and have the tranny fail while under warranty. This may not be the most ethical route although they did not say not to drive it and had I not read the forums I wouldn't know any better.

Based on what I read it seems there may not be an incremental damage to the tranny as reverse seems to fail when the the tranny overcompensates for the lost pressure caused by the TC seal leak and blows its own seals. If this is the case then it may be ok for the week and if it does go I'm covered. I will just tell my wife not to snooker herself in when she parks.

If someone knows whether there is an incremental tranny damage or it's ok until a catastrophic seal failure please let me know.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Called this morning and I was told it's ok to drive for a few days

They are expecting the part in tomorrow if all goes well it will be installed on Thursday. My wife took it this morning as she was late but will probably take the subway tomorrow although if she has to drop it off then might as well drive it to work. It's only a few kms.

He confirmed the code was 17125 and said I shouldn't believe what I read online when I said the suggestion is not to drive it :-)
Old 07-25-2006, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Called this morning and I was told it's ok to drive for a few days

They don't care if your tranny goes, hell they probably aren't aware of any connection between the two..
Old 07-25-2006, 04:08 PM

Default FWIW...

I have found the info here to be BETTER than anything I get at my indy or my dealer...just couldn't help throw that in and thanks all for the technical info keep it coming
Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Mine came on too, Dealer says he will change software

first and see what happens with that. I hope that solves the problem, out of warranty and I'm not looking forward to paying for the work.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree.

But to be fair an individual dealer may not have the pool of data to draw from as we do here on the forum. AoA would but I don't know if they would pass that on to dealers.

At least they are replacing the TC without ttying other BS solutions first. I will talk to the service manager to see what he thinks about replacing the tranny as well since it may be compromised by this. I'd like a record of it anyway just in case the tranny dies on me just of warranty in two years.

Quick Reply: MIL light turned out to be the torque converter