Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

milltek install complete - almost... strange sound - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default milltek install complete - almost... strange sound - ideas?

hello all,
so, last night, i finished getting the milltek installed on the allroad. i've now learned a lot about the underside of the allroad, not to mention how much stuff there is on the street in front of my house (now all in my hair...). in any case. i still need to do some tweaking on the alignment of the exhaust as it seems to poke out a little further than i'd like after longer drives. i'm assuming that it needs to be pre-loaded a little more than it is now. in any case. the sound is great, i'm using the stock downpipes/cats still.

so, my odd sound issue is that when driving, if i take my foot off the accelerator, the exhaust makes a little bump/bump/bump (maybe whump is a better description) sound like a bass drum being very lightly kicked (or imagine being very far away from a truck with a loud sound system). is this normal? and if not, what might be causing this sound? i've checked the clearances when the system is cold, as well as when it was driven on a quick drive around the block, and everything seems fine. is this just a sound that a larger exhaust makes as the exhaust pressure has a sudden drop?

thoughts and hypotheses would be much appreciated.
thanks. j.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's normal, I actually believe it's unburnt gas in the exhaust igniting.

You just can't hear it with stock exhaust.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Couple of things... I've noticed on my Miltek that...

the whole system lengthens when it heats up a little over an inch. I've had to readjust my fit about 4 to 5 times now just to improve appearance and balance.

I don't notice a bumping sound but I can only guess that you are probably hearing more exhaust tones due to the new performance exhaust. That is, assuming that the whole exhaust is not hitting the underbody somewhere.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My RS6 has always done that on decel. And the Milltek stainless system expands

more when hot than the OE system. So tip alignment is a bit more of a challenge than with wither the OE or the RS6. But that's normal.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default thanks, the tips are actually well centered...

they just stick out at a little different length. i'm going to attempt an adjustment this evening. otherwise, the sound is only noticable when the windows are rolled down. i really don't think it's the tips hitting the rear valence or any other body clearance issue. but, i'm going to work on pre-loading the hangers a little more either way. thanks for the advice. j.