Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

more storage space (removing cup holder from center armrest)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more storage space (removing cup holder from center armrest)

I have been wondering how to get more storage space into my Allroad. I have been looking center armrest because I feel that I do not need so many cup holders and those cup holder are in really bad place. My arm is hitting to cups and it is difficult to reach them.

So, on one day I start to look them closer and I noticed that it is very easy to remove those cup holders. Maybe you have notised this but for those who havent...

I just took rubber "mat" of from bottom of cup holder (it is not fixed). After that it is possible to see written instructions how to remove cup holder (smart German designer). Turn first both screws 1/4 counter clock vice and push pins in holer towards screws. Then you can lift cup holder from armrest. Now whole arm rest is open! And what is good, it is even easier to instal them back if needed.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:33 PM

Default not all model years come with the cup holder in armrest, at least my 02 didn't.

I remember reading about availability of it in the A4 forum and order one for it, after installing it, didn't care for it, remove and return back to dealer. It was like $40 bucks or something like that.

-Cognito
Old 01-03-2005, 03:41 PM

I have 2003 and with cup holder .. and I didn't like it eather
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks, I'm going to remove it from my '04 today.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

so anybody want to give me their take-off cupholder? I need MORE! :-)
Old 01-04-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Cup Holder replacement

Removing these usless cupholders is a great idea. I've had mine out since day-two of my owning my AR. I also purchased "The Ultimate Cupholder". See the link below. These work GREAT. The only downside is if you change seat positions significantly. I still like having them down low and away from electronics and clothes! I've got one for each side.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/">http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-04-2005, 05:03 PM

That is good looking cup holder! I could use that!
Old 05-30-2020, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did this install. It is not technically difficult, just aggravating because the center trim panel is so hard to pull off. I recommend disconnecting the battery because I got some error codes after removing the drive selector handle even though the car was off. Removing the top of the drive selector is easy, it is held on by 3 metal pins. I slid a guitar pick along the top seam to lift it a little then popped it off. The single T-25 Torx screw is easy to remove, the handle pulls straight off.

To remove the center trim piece there are about 14 metal pins that have to be pulled up. They are very hard to pull so you have to take your time. There are two at the back of the piece, start here. If you look on the right side of the new cup holder you can see a few of the metal female parts of the pins that you will be working with. I made pictures but cannot figure out how to post them here. Using a trim removal tool start pulling up the trim carefully. There are two of these pins in the middle of the panel and two in the front under the volume control, these have to be carefully pulled up to avoid breaking the piano black plastic. All of the other pins are along the sides.

The old cup holder is removed by taking out the three 8mm torx bolts. The 12v connector underneath has very little wire length to play with so unclip it from the bottom of the cup holder so you can get room to disconnect it with a pointed trim removal tool (to push the clip release). Do not install the black cover until after you install the new cup holder, it could be scratched by the metal selector handle that is sticking out while you struggle to reattach the connector to the bottom of the new cup holder. Reinstalling the center panel trim is straightforward, position it and slowly push the pins down from the back, then center, then along the sides working forward. I put some dry lube on the pins so it will be easier to remove them if I ever need to take it off again.

Looks nice, not sure why they did not give us this as a standard part?