Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

More suspension woes, need some more thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More suspension woes, need some more thoughts

A little refresher, helping a friend with his air suspension, diagnosed via vag-com that the G291 pressure sensor was bad. Replaced the valve body, cleared the codes, turned the car on and it still won't level the car, times out and drops the code that it didn't reach height.
I have seen another code.
2 Faults Found:

01400 - Suspension Level Control 11-00 - Control Limit Not Reached
01397 - Venting Solenoid for Level Control (N111)31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent
I have pulled the compressor off and if I jump it the compressor will turn on. If I look at the measuring blocks while the car tries to level the pump relay will come on, the pump itself will display off (and it does not run). All plugs are tight, voltages in vag-com look normal.
Suspension level sensors read:
Front 1: -110
Front 2: -106
Rear 1:-90
Rear 2:-97
Suspension unit extensions read:
Front 1: 35
Front 2: 30
Rear 1: 69
Rear 2:66
Pump temp is 24 C Reservoir pres is 0.0bar Reservoir valve off, pump off, pump relay on.
I am feeling almost at a loss, I don't want him to just throw money at it, Fuse is good, I hear the relay in the dash click. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe there are some problems about the N111 itself or the wiring or the connector???
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM

Default It's not unusual for a bad valve or airspring to smoke the compressor.

The vent valve is on the compressor. Check for continuity between pump relay and pump. If the pump doesn't run the comp temp should be close to ambient.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm confused on the last part of your comment, the pump is at ambient temp.

I can check for continuity btwn the pump and relay. I did notice that the wires may have been pinched when I had the short to ground code, after fixing that the code went away and didn't come back. Maybe that caused the problem all along. Now the car thinks the relay is on, when in reality it is off, which is why the pump won't start. I guess I could see if the relay gets voltage when it is telling it to.
Can you send me an email so we can talk through email tomorrow?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2007, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

I've got a spare suspension controller that's probably good you can troubleshoot with
Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That might be helpful, where are you located?

I'm in Delaware.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default California

its an easy module to replace yourself, but you'll need to calibrate afterwards which requires a perfectly level surface, a vag-com, and a millimeter ruler or tape measure.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Correct if it was pumping the temp would go up, now just becuse the relay is energized

does not mean the power is getting to the pump. Check for voltage drop , as well as continuity. relays do go bad. They can turn on but not deliver power to the load.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Have you figuredout your problem yet? , or are you taking it to a dealer?

Have you touched the valve body at all? I ask this because there is a difference in the color coding of the valve bodies that can lead to incorrect routing of the hoses.I just don't understand how your readings can agree at certain heights, and be different at others. If they don't agree then the module should pump up the low ones until they are all the same value. If the values are incorrect in the adaption channels, why doesn't the computer raise them or lower the high ones?
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I took it to the dealer and they misdiagnosed the problem as a bad controller

I replaced the controller and it's still the same.

Quick Reply: More suspension woes, need some more thoughts