Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

MTM cat-back installed today... impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTM cat-back installed today... impressions...

This is the cat-back system I purchased on ebay a few months ago... some of you may remember it. 12K miles on it.

Installation was about 3.0 hours with car on 4 drive-up ramps. Used the floor jack to jack up the exhaust (in 3 pieces) and maneuver it around under the carriage. I re-grease my h-sports while I was under there.

Impression: System sounds good and certainly has a lower bass tone than stock exhaust. Although, the low bass tone is a bit stronger at idle up to 2,000 rpm's than I wish. At the lower rpm's (below 2,200 roughly), the bass sound is loud enough to drown out the engine sound. I prefer to hear the engine slightly at all times. Performance is improved noticeably at lower-end of range and seems to give the ar a little more pep in the mid-range. Acceleration in 3rd gear at 3,000 rpm's is stronger for sure. It pulls a little better in 3rd gear now. When punching the gas and really stepping on throttle, the bass sound is removed and a nice euro, sporty sound is present. I can't really think of another car with the same sound for comparison... perhaps a late model M3 under hard acceleration.

Draw-backs. Hoppen provided me with a full set of new clamps and transition adaptors for the system. The clamps are good quality but a bit bulky. Difficult to hide the bolt heads up on the side of pipes without causing other side of clamp to hit the underside of the carriage. The transition pipes fit the MTM side perfectly but seem slightly large on the stock exhaust side. I sealed the pipe connections with some exhaust sealer before connecting everything. I have a slight leak on both of the stock-to-MTM adaptor locations. Not enough to hear unless you are under the car. I will likely re-seal the front joints tomorrow. I will also call Hoppen on Monday to determine if they have had leak problems with the adaptors (my clamps are really tight).

All-in-all, I am pleased. It might take a little getting used to the bass. Best of all, I pulled away from a new Mustang GT 6spd at a red (green) light. The guy looked a little surprised. He skidded briefly when he hit 2nd gear. Thank goodness for quattro, I kept going. I normally don't do that kind of craziness but ya gotta test the equipment in the lab!

Thanks to Paulroad and Giblet on recommendations for the Rhinoramps. Very easy and enough clearance in level 2 for the install... even with 402 mod. I recommend Rhino's to all you ar fans. $40-45 pair at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. Don't order Amazon, they end up being $25 for ground shipping per pair.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: MTM cat-back installed today... impressions...

Congrats and I am looking for an exhausta as well.. Good to read these kind of reports..
Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update: wife said it sounds like a motorcycle and laughed at my grin. Uh oh.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:33 AM

Congrats. I love mine as well. Great sound.