Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

My 2004 3L allroad

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2004 3L allroad

Hey guys, my name is Bryan and I rarely ever post on here and I'm usually on Audizine, but I thought I would share what's been going on w/ my allroad, which has been a very long work in progress and will hopefully be wrapped up in the next month or two.

Here's the story... I picked up our 2004 allroad in the summer of 2008 after a long and hard search for a clean and fairly low mileage MT6. I enjoyed the car in stock form for about a year and then decided to sell my other car, which was a B5 S4 Avant and use the money I got from that and build up the allroad.

I then dropped off the car over to the guys at Pro Tuning Performance in Fort Worth to have them start the work on the car and below is the list of parts that I was having them, in conjunction w/ Don Istook who did the motor work, install.

My goal w/ this car is to have daily drivability retained and still not go too crazy trying to squeeze out 900hp, which I'm sure I could have done w/ a different turbo choice. The main reason for going to a full 3L was to have a little more power when not in boost, and to aid in the turbo's spooling much more quickly!

Tial s605 turbos
3.0L OEM forged Crank
Diamond Forged Pistons
2.8 Heads and 2.8 Cams
Integrated Engineering rifle drilled rods
Inconel Exhaust Valves
Samco DV's
ARD Bipipes w/ 034 TBB
AWE SMIC's (yes I know they aren't ER's, but I stuck w/ the AWE's per Vast's recommendations)
034 motor and tranny mounts
034 billet aluminum rear diff mount
Vast hi-flow electric fan kit
Vast Oil Catch Can
JHM Short Shifter
JHM Shifter Linkage Upgrade
040 Bosch Fuel Pump
Vast Fueling kit w/ 82# injectors for a regular 91 octane tune as well as a race gas file
Defi 30psi boost gauge
3" RAI catless downpipes the allroad so I didn't have to tweak the S4 dp's to make them fit - RAI also supplied Vibrant mufflers and Ultra-Quiet Resonators as I still want this car to be fairly quiet considering how much I drive it. PTP is going to use those parts to fab a catback system for me.

I'm sure there's some things that I'm leaving out, but that's all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Here's how the car looked in stock form after I bought it

Here's the car at the PTP w/ the OEM RS4 Ti pkg wheels that I purchased for it

It's sitting quite high since the motor is out of the car at this point and at the machine shop

Got the valve covers back from powdercoat and well as the mani's

Motor FINALLY built...

...and IN the car!

A little more progress made at this point, but still need to put the MAF tube on, one catch can line, sparkplugs and coolant and its ready to rock. The catch can and fan relay are hidden under the power steering trim panel.

Went to Fort Worth and got a chance to check on the progress of the car and start it up. Getting closer... just need to put the fenders/bumpers back on as we sent them off to be color matched Atlas Gray, install/fabricate the remainder of the exhaust, and a few small other bits and pieces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbfnpoat3w

In the meantime, I ordered carbon fiber trim from Matt at oCarbon and here's the only pic I have of it in the car and it's not fully installed, as you can tell since the shifter boot still isn't in. Overall though I think it's a huge improvement over the wood interior.

Well... progress is still slow at this point, but the fenders/bumpers are back on the car and color matched, and the exhaust was being fabbed up after the bumpers and fenders went back on.

Finally, the exhaust has been fabricated and the 4" magnaflow tips have been welded on, but they are sitting too low for my liking so they still need to readjust it.

So at this point, the Bosch fuel pump is going into the car this week, the exhaust is being realigned in order to properly clean the rear sway bar and the tips are being raised up a tad to just below the cut out.

Also, there has been an oil leak which developed from behind one of the heads and the car will be going back to Don Istook next week to have him get that rectified. After that, the motor will be ready to get broken in and then we can get some logs to send off to VAST to have the tune dialed in!

This has been a year in the making and all summed up in a quick post! Hope you enjoyed!

-Bryan
Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beautiful! Can't wait to hear and see how she runs. The carbon treatment is very nice.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very cool, thanks for taking the time to post the pic's and story. You will no doubt increase respect for the allroad in many of your future travels. I am a fan of the full body paint, looks great. Now a little dental floss and goo gone will remove the badges. I would ditch the plate surround and fasten the plate with stainless screws, (but I am not a pharmacist).
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by finiki
Very cool, thanks for taking the time to post the pic's and story. You will no doubt increase respect for the allroad in many of your future travels. I am a fan of the full body paint, looks great. Now a little dental floss and goo gone will remove the badges. I would ditch the plate surround and fasten the plate with stainless screws, (but I am not a pharmacist).
Funny you should mention the badges, that's my next move. I'm not a pharmacist either, the wifey is and it was her DD before we took it into the shop. I'll most likely get rid of it though for something a little nicer.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You could personalize the plate frame with "allroad 3.0" or.......
http://www.autoattire.com/prfichliplfr.html
Let's hear the suggestions........
Old 12-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's pretty nice, i'll have to look into that.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So what did you do with bosch pump? 005 in tank or external 044?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
So what did you do with bosch pump? 005 in tank or external 044?
Well, Prince is convinced that I should be fine w/ the 040 in tank pump especially since I decided to not run E85 and go w/ race gas instead. So I hope the 040 will be enough. I personally doubt it, but I'm trusting him. What are your thoughts?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to see the love you put into your allroad !

The car looks and sounds nice man. What is the offset on them RS4 rims? Sweet !
Old 12-13-2010, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bryzf1
Well, Prince is convinced that I should be fine w/ the 040 in tank pump especially since I decided to not run E85 and go w/ race gas instead. So I hope the 040 will be enough. I personally doubt it, but I'm trusting him. What are your thoughts?
Well, you will be on the bleeding edge of fule supply but I believe you should be ok. Make one thing absolutely sure though... run 3bar FPR, no 4 or 5 bar. Pump LPH rating drops on its face as pressure increases and with high boost the pump has to work so much harder.

Bascially, with 3 bar fpr (43.5psi) and peak boost of say 30psi, the pump must work at 73.5psi of pressure and even 044 is not the greatest at such pressure. 4 bar FPR would make is 87psi or so. All you need is just appropriate injectors to run that, 750cc ev14 are perfect here.