Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Is my 6 speed Allroad really unreplaceable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 6 speed Allroad really unreplaceable?

Hi.

I've had my 6 speed Allroad for about 7 years now. It's a 2003 that I bought used with only 32k miles in 2005. I got it for a steal, in my opinion, at $25k. It's been an awesome car, but with 177k miles, I worry about the next few years and what expenses might hit me. I've owned it free and clear for about 4-5 years, so I haven't had a car payment in a while and I've certainly saved a lot of money, albeit some pricey maintenance over that time period. I have managed to own the car quite economically, gas mileage aside.

I love this car. I invested in Justin's 2" custom receiver so I can put my 4 bike hitch rack on the back and put my Thule roof box on the top for mountain bike camping trips. I run Nokian Hakk studded snow tires. I volunteer as a ski patroller here in VT on the weekends and the car has never failed to get me to the mountain on a snowy morning. I've set out in major snowstorms when I used to live in Boston and skied deep pow the next morning, but sadly, we don't seem to get many storms like that these days... This car is perfect for me. My only wish was that it was available with a TDI engine or had better gas mileage.

I've looked around a bit at what options are out there for potentially replacing it with another nearly perfect car, but I don't think anyone makes anything like this any more. I'm not willing to compromise on any of these features:

* Wagon (NOT an SUV) for lower center of gravity for spirited driving
* All Wheel Drive
* Manual Transmission (I will not settle for any of this TipTronic or SportShift crap. I hate that stuff. I want a real clutch and a transmission that will redline if I over-rev it)

Nice to haves:
* 250+ hp, but I'd settle for less if the gas mileage was a bit better
* TDI would be sweet
* solid fit and finish

Unless I lived in Europe, I don't think anyone makes anything like this today, do they? I imagine Suby makes a stick Outback, but I don't really find their quality the same fit an finish as my Allroad. But maybe that's the answer. Or I suppose I'm going to just hold on to my Allroad and make it last as long as I can until maybe a manufacturer brings a worthy replacement to the US.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jetta SportWagen TDI
Old 11-21-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jetta is only FWD.

Really it's down to the manual trans going away from nearly all cars. The only newish AWD wagon that I can think of is a WRX/STI but those are much smaller than the allroad.

Three of my four cars are manuals but my allroad is an auto. I'm fine with that because if I want to rip through the mountains and row my own gears I won't drive the allroad. My suggestion is to look into the DSG style trans. They allow you to change gears when you want but you don't have the clutch pedal. Probably the closest you'll get to a manual these days.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I really have an issue with OEM manufacturers using the word "Sport Wagon" when describing non-AWD vehicles. IMO, a "SPORT Wagon" should be capable of handling slippery road surfaces better than the average FWD car or wagon.

I failed to mention my requirement of comfortable seating for 4+ adults. I haven't checked out a Jetta Wagon, but as it's not AWD it would never make my list, and I assume it would not comfortably fit four or more adults.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by G0to60
The Jetta is only FWD.

Really it's down to the manual trans going away from nearly all cars. The only newish AWD wagon that I can think of is a WRX/STI but those are much smaller than the allroad.

Three of my four cars are manuals but my allroad is an auto. I'm fine with that because if I want to rip through the mountains and row my own gears I won't drive the allroad. My suggestion is to look into the DSG style trans. They allow you to change gears when you want but you don't have the clutch pedal. Probably the closest you'll get to a manual these days.
I only have the space, time and money for one car, which is why I want all these features in one package. I love my Allroad -- I just don't think there's another comparable car on the road that has:

* amazing all wheel drive
* traction control
* comfortably hauls 4 adults (and can easily squeeze 5 in a pinch)
* legit standard transmission
* nice fit and finish (doesn't feel like a tin can)
* is fast enough for my needs

I suppose some of the BMW 5 series x drive wagons with M/T would work, but I think the stigmatism associated with BMW owners is much worse than Audi owners. I'm certainly a snob for quality - I'm not afraid to admit that. But I think the BMW brand screams dbag even more so than the Audi brand. Granted, PLENTY of BMW owners I know are NOT dbags, there's a stereotype associated with all luxury brand owners. I DO NOT drive the Allroad because of the status symbol of owning a luxury brand. In fact, sometimes, I'm embarrassed to arrive at places in an Audi because someone might think I'm a wealthy *****. I drive it because:

a) I can set out in a herculean snowstorm and be confident in arriving safely at the ski resort
b) It can seat 4 adults comfortably and has a lux feel
c) It's fast enough that it's fun to drive especially with a m/t
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, the manual 5 series wagons are very rare. Personally I'm not a big fan of the BMW's interior and feel. My wife recently got an 01' 325 vert. My 02' allroad just feels better put together and better quality and my Audi has about 100k more miles than her BMW.

There might be some Volvo V70 or XC70 wagons that are manuals. They did come with AWD and have plenty of room. These were on my shopping list when I got the allroad and drive great. They are amazingly comfortable. Even better than the Audi in my opinion.

I think that the allroad with a manual is a dying breed. You can still find some nice low mile ones around but they are getting hard to find.

I can't wait for the snow to fly over here and we hit the mountain. Last winter was my first winter with my allroad and it was awesome. On several occasions I had me, my wife, two friends, and gear going up to the mountain for some boarding. All were comfy and warm (yay for rear heated seats!). I will be sad when I have to get rid of the allroad for something else. I just think (like you) that I won't be able to find something that ticks all the right boxes.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

There might be some Volvo V70 or XC70 wagons that are manuals. They did come with AWD and have plenty of room. These were on my shopping list when I got the allroad and drive great. They are amazingly comfortable. Even better than the Audi in my opinion.
Yeah, a good friend of mine has a Volvo wagon. I'm not exactly sure which one it is, but it's AWD, though it's not a manual. He said they did make M/T versions, but are hard to find as he looked for one before settling on the automatic. If I have to replace the Allroad in the next few years and no mfr releases anything here in the US that suits all my needs, I guess I'd try to find another m/t Allroad or m/t Volvo wagon with AWD. I suppose the fact that AWD is standard in most Audi's that finding a m/t Allroad is easier vs. a Volvo wagon with AWD in m/t.

I think that the allroad with a manual is a dying breed. You can still find some nice low mile ones around but they are getting hard to find.
Do you mean the types of owners who care about driving a manual transmission are a dying breed? Jeez, I'm only 36. I hope I don't die soon. My first child is due in less than a month. Or do you mean that owners who used to care about driving a m/t just don't care any more? It's obvious that manufacturers who make a DRIVERS' car with a legit M/T are dead, or at least they just don't bother importing those to the states because they think we're all just lazy Americans who only care about lux at this price point.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djtnut
It's obvious that manufacturers who make a DRIVERS' car with a legit M/T are dead, or at least they just don't bother importing those to the states because they think we're all just lazy Americans who only care about lux at this price point.
I meant this part. With autos (or DSG) becoming easier/cheaper to build and buyers not caring about a manual I believe we will only see a clutch pedal in small production sports cars. Sad really.

Don't worry about the dying. I'm only 32.

I also remembered that Subaru made the Outback XT a few years ago. It's the model before they became an SUV and was still a wagon. AWD, turbo, manual, big wagon.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I meant this part. With autos (or DSG) becoming easier/cheaper to build and buyers not caring about a manual I believe we will only see a clutch pedal in small production sports cars. Sad really.

Don't worry about the dying. I'm only 32.

I also remembered that Subaru made the Outback XT a few years ago. It's the model before they became an SUV and was still a wagon. AWD, turbo, manual, big wagon.

Damn dude, you're young...
And yes, if I was to ever leave the Audi/allroad/avant scene(I've owned 2 allroads so far), ^The XT is the only wagon I would make a switch to(Although I do like the Turbo Fozzy as well), as I have owned many Subarus Turbo and N/A and they are reliable and awesome...
Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thought I would share that I own an Allroad and a 2012 Jetta SportWagen TDI. Besides the once a month drive of the Allroad (only have 75k on her! woo!) the TDI is my primary vehicle. The turbo diesel and interior is more sport than you would think would come in a wagon. When I need to haul something the Jetta gets picked every single time because the seats fold flat. The car is way smaller than the Allroad but the hauling room is definitely more. Plus the MPG advantage is extreme (I average 38mpg city). I live in Dallas so AWD is only needed the one day a year it ices and that's actually only if you decide to leave your house that day (which no one does).

Quick Reply: Is my 6 speed Allroad really unreplaceable?