Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

My allroad's gonna need new tires soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My allroad's gonna need new tires soon

I'm disappointed. I have ~17,000 miles on my allroad and it will need new tires soon. Don't tires usually last longer than that? At $150 per tire I guess I'm more than disappointed.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:30 PM

I've heard they are way more than $150/tire, but not sure
Old 03-14-2001, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: My allroad's gonna need new tires soon

Check out the www.tirerack.com website. Do a search for 225/50 R15 tires. They have the Pirelli allroad tire listed for $148. Do you have the Pirelli's or the Goodyears on your car?
That would be extremely poor milage for a set of tires. You might want to look at some other possibilities.
Old 03-14-2001, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just curious

Did all 4 wear out evenly? In theory, they should have been rotated at the 5K and 10K service intervals.

The total mileage that you expect from a set of tires depends on many factors. One thing in general is that the softer rubber compounds found in high performance tires (and winter tires) will wear out quicker. I'm sure that the allroad tires are considered fairly soft since they are grippy in the dry and have decent winter characteristics.

Sure, you could put a set of WalMart Infitreads on the car and get 75,000 miles out of them (with a warranty), but the performance of the car will plummet. The size and quality of tires on a car make a huge impact on handling.

With all that being said, I would think that at least 20-25K miles would be a little more reasonable for a set of OEM tires on a station wagon.
Old 03-14-2001, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Re: My allroad's gonna need new tires soon

Unfortunately, a lot of manufacturers like to use very soft tires on their new cars. Soft tires help sell cars. They make the car handle better and they make for a quieter ride.

In fact when I bought the car I had a long talk with the dealer tech about the tires, engine, etc. He stated that the stock Pirellis wear terribly. He also told me, btw, that Audi only stipulates that the tires be rotated at the 5,000 mile service. If you want them rotated at the other services you must request it and pay for it.

When the time comes I will be replacing the stock Pirellis with a 225/55 ZR17 set of Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4s. You can find them on the tire rack for about $180. I had a set of these on an old Saab 900turbo when I lived in St. Louis. They were great tires in the dry, wet and snow. They also lasted 40,000 miles. So they cost a little more than the Pirellis but I anticipate twice the mileage and I get a Z rated tire to boot.

Hope that helps,

Josh Smith
'01 allroad quattro Tiptronic
'97 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
'94 Nissan King Cab pickup V6 5spd
Old 03-14-2001, 07:34 AM
wec

Default My dealer threw out $200@ when I bought the car.

Glad to hear the Pirelli "allroad" is out there in the retail market.

Thanks, Josh for the Michelin recommendation. I'll be watching and waiting. I sure hope I have well more than a year before I have to swap.

Atlas Gray w/Tip, 3rd seat & all but Nav, phone & changer
Old 03-14-2001, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'll be selling my OEM "allroad" Goodyears soon -- very low miles

They were taken off the car last January when the car was three weeks old, when I put on Michelin snow tires on 16" wheels. I now want to buy a "summer" tire to mount on the 17" dual spokes, and this will likely happen within the next 3-4 weeks. So if anyone wants to make me an offer on the "allroad" Goodyears, please send me an email. And I'm looking for a whole lot less than $150 each for these tire, since they probably do have a couple of hundred miles on them.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pirellis or Goodyears

Sounds more likely the Pirellis as they probably have a lower treadwear rating and are softer, I bet a rating of about 200. I'm going to check at the dealer today what the ratings are, but I bet the Goodyears last longer, but as Aerosmith suggested, I'd also look into other tires depending on what your needs are (eg. snow, etc.)
Old 03-14-2001, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Yep, I have even tire wear

Fact is they just don't last that long. I would've guessed that I'd get ~20-25,000 out of a set. This car's costing me quite a pretty penny.
Old 03-14-2001, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Default Where do you live Bill?

I'm in Fairfield Cty Connecticut. I'm interested if you're within driving distance.
Thanks

Quick Reply: My allroad's gonna need new tires soon