Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

NAV PLUS coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV PLUS coming?

I heard a rumor the Allroad would have Nav Plus as an option and that it would be the only Audi in USA to have it. True?
Old 01-09-2001, 07:08 PM

Default Looks like its coming, also outside USA

Saw the following at audi.fi, Finnish Audi importer's site today:
Option: Navigation system "PLUS" , driving computer, "Auto-Check", 5" color display, radio, (no cassette) acoustic guidance. Price EUR 5583,84. (High price since there is a 130% car tax in Finland).
Old 01-09-2001, 07:39 PM

Default Nav PLUS has been available for quite some time outside the USA

It would be nice if they released it but I don't see why they would do it just on the allroad. If that was the case you'd have expected them to do that for the release.
Old 01-10-2001, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Nav PLUS has been available for quite some time outside the USA

Since in the Allroad you might be lost on sme back country trail, it would make sense to have a display which shows a map and where you are on it. That's why I think Audi would introduce it in the Allroad first. I think I read this somewhere but can't find the post.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Here we go again... AoA - Here's one at you (RANT)

Don't we all wish. I hope you're listening AoA - we know you guys read the forums!!!

This rumor has been floating around on several of the forums for a good 3 years now - at least since the NAV system was announced. I think I remember seeing it on the a6 forum last spring, but as far as I can tell, its just a rumor.

NAV+ and a easy way to connect a standard Motorola phone to the so called "Pre wired for Motorola" system - How long have we all been asking for them? The only press articles that praise the Nav system seem to have lots of Audi adds in them ... hmmmmmmm...

It's mind boggling that AoA can't get the message. Then if you ask someone on the AoA web site (where they invite you to ask "Any Question")it seems that no matter what you ask them (or how nice you ask), they reply to you with something along the lines of "we don't know the answer to your question,your question would be best answered by marketing and you can call them during your work day" (they don't take e-mail in Marketing)- gimme a break -

I spoke to my dealer about it last week. As of last Friday, I was told there's absolutely, positively no way to order NAV+ in North America, and even if they could get it for me, it wouldn't work in the US (that's what they said)- ....I was also told that it's probably the most requested item next to a connection for a Startac.

Now, we all know there are ways around all of this like getting the Alpine system (or any of the other map display GPS systems) and rigging a hands free circuit to connect your phone, but this is pretty basic stuff.

I'm not canceling my order, and I'm still getting the stupid guidance package... but I'm really using restraint by saying it stinks that I'd have to make swiss cheese out of a brand new car and ruin the ergonomics to get something that should be available directly from the dealer.

The only excuse I can think of is that Audi bought a ton of Nav components anticipating a huge demand in the US and if they don't use a majority of them up, they'll have to dump them. Maybe if we start spreading that around, Audi will do something about it....

Oh, and one more thing. While you're at it AoA, fix the !@#$ cup holders. They stink in my '98 A4 and you still haven't gotten it right!!! Now I get to spill my coffee on the radio while my wife spills hers in her lap... (She wanted the Nav) ... Actually, now that I think about it, it all makes sense- we wouldn't want to spill our coffee on the Nav display 8-)

thanks -

this was much more fun than calling
Old 01-12-2001, 08:46 AM

Default Re: NAV PLUS coming....A of A sees possible liability problems with current Nav plus to offer it....

so thats why we haven't seen it here in the US. Does anyone know if there is a feature on current system that doesn't allow use went car is in motion like the Alpine DVD-ROM system. I can only use mine when the brake is engaged in the allroad. I believe Audi AG spent so many years with a bad rep from the "acceleration scare" that it doesn't want to expose itself to law suits do to drivers utilizing the Nav-plus and ending up parking on a tree. Just a thought!

Mike Gross
Old 01-12-2001, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default So lame...

Why is it that BMW, Lexus, etc. can put out a much better Nav product in the US than Audi can?

Initial pictures of European allroads with the Nav+ had so much promise... I ended up dropping the Nav in my allroad because I didn't want to pay $1600 for a product that is 2nd tier to the Nav+ that Audi has already developed but won't release to the US. Do the Lawyers really rule the world?
Old 01-12-2001, 06:46 PM

Welcome to America....