Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nav system?

Trying to put together an order for a 2002 allroad...

Curious of those that have a nav system currently.

Do you use it? like it? hate it? If you had it to do over again would you order it again?

I didn't have the nav system in my 2001. I have a fairly good inate sense of direction, and don't spend a lot of time in the city needing detailed directions, so I think it would be of minor to little use to me.

thoughts?
fj..
Old 10-29-2001, 11:25 AM

Default Re: I wouldn't get it again...

The map cd's aren't very thorough. They don't offer details in small towns in the south and the are constricted on their accuracy due to the construction in some of the cities. I cannot believe that I would think this but I would prefer OnStar as to cd-based navigation.

Also it takes so much time to enter the data. I know that voice recognition software is a ways off in the future but that would be helpful over the flimsy little mouse especially when you have to scroll through so many street numbers to get to your selection.

But I do love the rear sensors that are apart of the package. Find those incredibly useful. I'll likely want them on all of my cars in the future.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:46 AM
sal
Audiworld Junior Member

Really like the Nav system and the Parktronic sensors.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default get a GPS IV from garmin... and mount it on your cupholder... it works for me and ...

it has a compass!!! muhahahahaha.. you can download more detailed maps in your area too with it... theere are a vast number of functions that comes in handy. (odometer, street that shows turns like in the audi nav, map zoom in/out, all 50 states plus you can always upgrade from your cpu, digital speedometer to the tenth, waypoints, etc. and did I mention THE COMPASS)I like it cause its portable and easy to use. you can get a GPS III for like 300.00 now i think. someone already mounted a streetpilot to their car... here's the link. I didn't go to this great of detail of hooking mine up. (2 rubberbands to hold it in place on the cupholder works fine for me)

I hear that the audi nav. is great for major metropolitan areas, but lacking in midsize to smaller towns.<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc22.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc22.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-29-2001, 12:33 PM

Default Love it, wouldn't buy a luxury car without it

For me, a map display is too distracting. I mainly use it to find places I'm going to locally, and it saves printing out mapquest/yahoo maps and attempting to argue over whom is the better navigator. Allows you to keep your attention on the road for worry-free driving.

For long trips, the estimated time of arrival is really useful (even if its off - hmm, maybe I drive too fast).

It does have problems with small towns in the middle of nowhere sometimes (ie unincorporated areas), but so does every nav system I've tried.

And the entry system isn't that hard once you get used to it.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

I recommend it, it has been very useful
Old 10-29-2001, 01:38 PM

My comments exactly, I think it's great and makes life pretty easy !
Old 10-29-2001, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: get a GPS IV from garmin... and mount it on your cupholder... it works for me and ...

actually the 2002 is _supposed_ to have a compass in the mirror. (but we've heard that rumor before).

I had thoughts along the same line (garmin) in that I would have use for it out in the woods away from the car. (actually would have more use for it out of the car than in)

thanks for the feedback guys,

fj..
Old 10-29-2001, 03:46 PM

Default The 2002 A6 2.7T does have a compass in the mirror

Friend of mine just got one.

Dunno about the allroad though.
Old 10-29-2001, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on Garmin GPS IV

I was looking at Garmin's web site and also read a few reviews on the GPS IV model elsewhere. Looks like the best combination of features, screen size and price out there right now. My questions are, do you find the built-in memory (19MB as I recall) a limiting factor? Can you download different maps into it, depending on your trip, when the memory is full? (can you delete and replace if needed?) Last question is, would this unit be OK for occasional fishing use - marking hotspots, etc and then easily find the next time out? Thanks for your feedback.

Quick Reply: nav system?