Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need some help on camber and alignment issues--TECH Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help on camber and alignment issues--TECH Assistance

Quick update on my alignment/tire wear saga. For those of you who haven't been following--recently checked tire wear and it seems I've got a uniform wear at 5/32 tread left on all tires except right rear--3/32 left there.

They did an alignment check at the dealer this morning and it appears everything was within spec except for right rear, surprise surprise.

Don't have a scanner to scan in the graphic, but in a nutshell my left rear was at -1.12 camber and 0.08 toe while right rear was -1.08 camber and 0.21 toe for a total toe of 0.29 and a thrust angle of -0.06.

They have now adjusted the rears so I am at
-1.14 camber and 0.10 toe on the left rear and -1.14 camber and 0.09 toe on the right rear with a 0.01 thrust angle.

They claim that the right rear out of adjustment should not have caused my right rear to wear so much faster than the rest of the tires. Sounds fishy to me if its that far out of spec. Any thoughts?

Also, I noticed that my caster (looking at the front end) is 3.30 on the left and 3.23 on the right. Is that normal?

Thanks to all of you "techy" folks--appreciate any thoughts.

And thanks to those of you who have responded to my concerns about what to do next tire wise etc--likely I'll grab a single used replacement P6 to ride out the set and then move on to the Michelins, Falkens or something, hopefully with some new 18" wheels.

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My thoughts...

based on my recollection of alignment specs from some years back.

Regarding your rear settings.... camber on both sides wasn't that far out. But that toe on the right rear was way out. More than double what it should have been. think of your right rear as pidgeon toed on the right rear. That would really scuff diagonally across the right rear and usually causes scuffing on the outer shoulder.

For the front, caster is like the rake of a chopper motorcycle. The bigger the number, the more front end rake. It's not uncommon to have a stagger from left to right to take into account road crown. Since roads tend to slant to the right to facilitate water runoff, alignment shops will set the right caster slightly higer to keep teh car in a straight line on a sloped road.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ed, how are the new Goodyears treating you?