Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Need your opinions on using Bilstein shocks with Arnott Gen1's or Gen2's on Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinions on using Bilstein shocks with Arnott Gen1's or Gen2's on Allroad

The front right air spring finally broke on my 2002 Audi Allroad. It's got 126k miles, the shocks are also worn and in need of replacement. I want to replace all of the air springs and the shocks with Arnott/Bilstein replacements. So here's my question, I've been doing some research about the Arnott air spring replacements. I know they all have a lifetime warranty, they also come in two different versions. Gen1 which is a stock like ride and also a Gen2 which is about 30% stiffer. I've read in a few places that even though the Bilstein shocks are stiffer than the stock shocks, the Gen2 air springs are too stiff and are in a way, mismatched to the Bilstein shocks due to this. Can anyone that has Bilstein shocks and either Arnott Gen1 or Arnott Gen2 air springs please chime in on this. I also plan on installing Hotchkis sway bars as well. I know a suspension has to be well matched to perform properly. Any advice, suggestions or opinions on this? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

You'll hear a lot of varying opinions here, however, this is my experience...

In May I went went with the new Gen 2.5's in the front, and Bilsteins all around, keeping the OEM air springs on the rear. The overall ride is smoother then previous, however, I wouldn't say it a whole lot stiffer. I have no clunk, however, a small "squelching" sound on one rear side when in level 1, when going over a significant bump. I don't drive in level one very often, so no big deal to me. Only 4 months into this set-up, but so far, I'm happy with the overall performance of the car.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832797
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have two allroads. One with Gen2, bilsteins and Hotchkis and the other with 2Bennett coilovers. The Gen2 setup is very stiff, but handles well. I have not had a high opinion of the bilsteins. The first set, I blew one out quickly and had the bad clunk. Arnott replaced it right away which was great, but I still don't really care for them. Both sides currently make a consistent popping sound(maybe re-seating?) over even small bumps and it translates into the car. The next time I have a reason to get at the suspension, I think I will go back to the stock shocks with the Gen2s. The 2Bennetts were new on the other car when I bought it. I have to say the ride is much, much smoother than the Gen2 setup, but I think that is to be expected.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How high does your car sit with 2Bennets? Is it 402 mm (level 2) or slightly lower? Researching coilovers that ride at L1.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't measured the height yet. When I bought the car it was set at about level 2 or slightly below. I didn't use the 2Bennett key to try to lower the car more because it felt so good. I have to say that I love the ability to raise and lower the car with the pneumatics and I always thought that it was one of the things that made an allroad an allroad, but the 2Bennetts have a much nicer ride feel.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ericbky;
. I didn't use the 2Bennett key to try to lower the car more because it felt so good.
do you mean that 2Bennet are adjustable, albeit manually?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.2bennett.com/allroad_suspension.html
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
Thanks for the link. Should've looked it up.

It's amazing that in my months researching this, not once did I come across adjustable coilovers for the AR. Many people are adapting A6 coilovers from ST or H&R, manufacturing own adapters with the help of CAD tools, or else having the car sit very low...

It's pricey, for 2 grand, but you do get shocks + springs in that package. And it's adjustable.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Many people are adapting A6 coilovers from ST or H&R, manufacturing own adapters with the help of CAD tools, or else having the car sit very low...
No need for cad tools here.
Just some ***** and some A6 supplies.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel41.shtml

Quick Reply: Need your opinions on using Bilstein shocks with Arnott Gen1's or Gen2's on Allroad