Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Neo iOn Install (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neo iOn Install (long)

Just got my Neo iOn installed. I'm a tech junkie but a mechanical weenie, and I didn't want to buy the special stereo removal keys (4 required) just to install this one time (hopefully). So I turned to an installer I know through my boat dealer who does cars too. 45-min, $50.

Sorry, no photos, but I'll try to describe the steps and experience.

I have an '05 Symphony II w/Bose 6-CD in-dash changer and XM. Satellite not activated.

Total with an extra required Audi harness and shipping just over $200. Customer service at Neo was great - both phone and FAST e-mail response. Don't be afraid to ask Qs.

There's a pretty simple matching tool for make, model and year on the web site. (Link below)

The web site suggests that you can hook up either directly on the back of the head unit, or via the changer connections in the back of the car. I was told that this was not possible with my CD changer head unit, that hook-up would have to be up front. Not a problem as I figured it's a shorter, easier wire run from front.

4 pieces came with the order:

- Square box that is the "brain" of the system. DIP switches are easily set depending on OEM radio.

- Long (3.5M) connection cord from the brain to the iPod.

- Connector from brain to head unit ("adapter").

- Special Audi "harness."

Unit arrived without install instructions. Got an apology and an e-mail back with a .pdf within an hour. The install instructions had very limited info beyond the DIP switch positions and grounding instructions (both ground wires must be used). Hook-up appeared to be fairly intuitive with the exception of the extra Audi harness.

The adapter clearly plugs into one side of the brain. It then terminates in a small square plug with a number of sockets and 2 separate ground wires.

It's not clear how the special Audi harness connects until you remove the head unit and unplug an existing connection.

Don't hook up any wires to the brain yet.

Step 1:

Disconnected the "-" terminal on the battery. Using 4 removal "keys" was easy and the head unit slipped out with several inches behind to work. (Installer had a padded, soft cloth draped over the center console. The head unit sat facing down on an angle with the back resting against the shift ****.)

Step 2:

Looking down from the top of the unit (schematic on top of unit follows this "upside-down" view), the first horizontal plug down from the top of the unit must be removed. This plug is actually two square plugs that are attached together with a tongue and groove system on the side.

Now it becomes clearer how the Audi harness works ... The single, square plug on the end of the adapter cable connects to the double-plug removed from the head unit by the same tongue-and-groove system creating a 3-part plug.

Step 3:

Plug the new 3-unit plug (1 square from the adapter + double unit from the car) into the long socket on the special Audi harness. The harness on the other end terminates into a double unit (2 squares) that will fit into the back of the head unit. Plug it in.

Step 4:

Connect both ground wires to a ground (you got me on this one ... those who know, know). This is why I pay for help on these projects!

Step 5:

Figure out where to put the brain box. It did NOT fit behind the head unit, just too thick. We tried a couple places, but didn't work. Finally decided to put it above the gas pedal above (on top of) the plastic cowling. Attached with velcro. Relatively easy access to get wires from behind the head unit. The adapter/harness reached easily. Note that you'll have to feed the adapter's multi-pin connector out from behind the head unit to this area above the gas pedal before re-installing the head unit.

Step 6:

Attach the iPod connector cable to the brain box. Fed it back behind the head unit area, down and out between plastic and carpet on left side of front passenger area.

I wanted enough cable to be able to handle the iPod easily in a variety of positions while driving as well as allow a front or rear passenger to work the iPod controls. Once I had enough length, we tucked excess under in the passenger footwell area and tucked the length of cable under the plastic at the carpet along the passenger seat to just behind where the seat belt socket is on the passenger side.

The excess cable fits down next to the passenger seat. Not perfectly neat, but is flexible. My nano fits nicely in the small niche just in front of the hand rest, easy to reach and doesn't get away during hard driving.

Step 7 (last one):

Slide head unit back into place. Reconnect battery.

Note that all the computer functions reset, the seat memory resets, and the one-touch window controls reset - don't work (this one surprised me). Window control fix is in the owner's manual and is very simple.

Soooooo ... how's it work, you ask? So far so good.

The iPod registers as a "CDC" or CD Changer. On my unit you push the CD button once and you get the 6-disk in-dash player - it still works just fine. Push the CD button on the head unit a 2nd time and you get the iPod (reading as a changer) with "CDC" in the display. Other than that the head unit display is meaningless. It does start with "Track 1" and moves forward or back through the playlist, album or artist you've selected.

iPod screen and controls remain active. You do have to select playlist, artist, album, etc. directly on the iPod.

The sound is superior to the FM mods and cassette adapter I'd tried. iPod charges through, turns on and off with the head unit.

The up/down arrows on the left side of the steering wheel change to previous/next track just like with a CD. Volume is obvious, this controls the head unit. Because the iPod is connected with the data connector, changing volume on the iPod has no effect. It's basically feeding line level to the head unit.

The left/right arrows on the left/right bottom of the steering wheel are supposed to Ffwd/Rwnd, but only the right one is working and it's skipping to the next album. I've yet to check with Neo on this, maybe a DIP Switch change is in order. I'll let you know.

I'm thrilled with the sound. Will report more as I play. The XM is supposed to continue to work, but NOT a rear-mounted CD changer.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Where does the ipod cable enter the dash?

Where do you stow the ipod when it's connected to the "brain box"?
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cool. However, I doubt that you'll be able to retain the OEM SAT tuner (XM or Sirius)...because..

both the Neo and the OEM SAT tuner utilize the same audio input source on your Symphony II head unit. You'd need to run some additional wires to trunk to the SAT tuner to enable audio "pass through"....you can't do it at the head unit.

...I'll be posting pix on how to do this...in the coming weeks.

See my sig for Lee's OEM SAT tuner install.....as well as the rest of the links for pix/installs of Audi navigation systems etc...etc..
Old 11-22-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Interesting ...

The Neo functions through the CD Changer for control. I would think it would also use the CDC audio input.

This has been my biggest question, but at this point I'm not interested in the Sat service.

Any specific insights would be helpful if I ever want to add the subscription.

There is a Sat "preview" which I could hear before this install. Can't now ...

I'm going to ask Neo also.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:59 AM

Default iPod to dash ...

The iPod connects via the data socket to a long (3.5M) cable.

In my install, I have left about 1M of cable loose to be able to handle the iPod or have a passenger, front or back, work the controls.

The cable enters the dash (actually behind it) under the plastic at the carpet line on the left side of the passenger footwell. From there this cable travels across the back of the head unit area behind the dash over to the far side above the gas pedal to the "brain" box.

The adapter/harness combo then runs from the brain box back behind the dash to the back of the head unit.

Note that after leaving enough cable to the iPod coming out in the footwell area, I then tucked the cable up under the plastic at the carpet line along the plastic running back along the console to the left of the pass seat (right side of the console) to just behind the pass seat belt lock where the cable comes out from the plastic and is available to connect to the iPod.

My '05 does not have a pop up drink holder in the center console next to the pass seat, but a small lined indent (this is just forward of the end of the arm rest - again, where a pop up cupholder is on older models). My nano fits very nicely here.

The excess cable simply tucks down next to the pass seat most of the time, but can be pulled out to hand the iPod to a back seat passenger.

I like the idea of running cable into the armrest, but it takes some extra effort. There's a great tech post with photos on an install that did this. I choose to keep it simple for now.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Sound quality

Without question this thing rocks compared to FM mods and cassette adapters. And steering wheel control of tracks and audio levels is well worth it too.

But a comparison between iPod/Neo and a CD in the changer (Steely Dan, Everything Must Go)shows some limitations. The CD has a bit more dynamic range and "space" in the music.

However, I think this mostly has to do with the compression of the digital files on the iPod, not the iPod hookup itself.

Amazing what a great sound system will reveal!

I'd be interested to hear what others are doing regarding the bit rate and sound quality on your MP3s ...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default that explains why you can't hear the SAT preview anymore...

as the audio channels are now being diverted to the NEO device....as expected.

Sound like you already have the SAT tuner in the trunk...if you are/were getting the preview channel.

I'd be interested in NEO's response on running both the ipod device and OEM sat tuner...

Again, see my sig for Lee's pdf...and read it 3-4 times...and you'll understand why...
Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 AM

Default Re: that explains why you can't hear the SAT preview anymore...

I do have a Sat tuner - XM. I've just not activated the service.

Keep sharing as you learn more, I'll do the same.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

So you get a white cable across the black dash?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Default NO ...

Cables are all hidden behind the dash or under the plastic on the side of the passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Neo iOn Install (long)