Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Allroad owner with a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Allroad owner with a few questions?

Hi guys, I have only recently become the owner of a rather clean 2001 Allroad c5 (I believe it's called?) in a very short space of time I've fallen madly in love with my German beauty and have planned to do some small mods to her.

this is where I get a bit confused with all the numbers and codes with this being my first Euro vehicle, I've always been a Honda man until now,what I'm hoping to do is replace the wheels with some 19's in this style http://www.allfactorywheels.com/prod...%22-58898.html
is there anything I need to specifically ask for when buying them? size, width, tyre size? spacers? my car is still running standard air ride hieghts and will for a while too.

second quastion is about the dash, or more specifically changing the stereo? mine has the Audi Navigation set up with the screen etc. but it doesn't work down under in Aus very well, I want to change it out for a high quality single din CD player and use the empty din slot underneath to house some aftermarket gauges when I start doing some performance work on her! what do I need to buy to fit a new cd player etc? I've found some online that are double din sized with the lower opening but again, I'm not 100% what fits and what doesn't?

sorry to badger you all on my first post, but I honestly am pretty excited about owning this car :-)

thanks for your time and help

Damian
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't help you with the stereo, but for wheels, check out Hartmann wheels. They sell those replicas in 19" form.

The Allroad has a 7.5" wide rim, with the offset of 25 mm. The wheels you want will likely have an offset of 35mm, but also will be wider, at 8.5". Thus, get 20 or 25 mm spacers. You will also need concentric rings since these wheels have a bore size of 66.56 mm and your Allroad uses 57.1 mm.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi and many thanks for the info! I have saved it for a later date :-)

just a random musing about Audi, but are they really as notoriously difficult to modify and maintain as everyone tells me? I have heard many stories about the Allroad having air suspension problems and others informing me that as my allroad is a A6 C5 it shares most of the 'normal' A6 Avant mechanics so I realistically could purchase a static sport suspension set for the A6 Avant and it 'should' fit my allroad? is this correct or am I being led astray by the internet fiends?!!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Search the forums...

Originally Posted by Nerdfest09

just a random musing about Audi, but are they really as notoriously difficult to modify and maintain as everyone tells me? I have heard many stories about the Allroad having air suspension problems and others informing me that as my allroad is a A6 C5 it shares most of the 'normal' A6 Avant mechanics so I realistically could purchase a static sport suspension set for the A6 Avant and it 'should' fit my allroad? is this correct or am I being led astray by the internet fiends?!!
Search for: air suspension issues, Arnott kit. You will be sufficiently schooled! Also, near the top of the page is the "click Here for the allroad buyer's guide." Good reading.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Difficult to maintain? How so? It will require more maintenance than a Civic, but it's not difficult. You either maintain it or you don't. Things become difficult when the car gets neglected.

An difficult to modify? Modify what exactly? It has one of the best aftermarket supports, especially the 2.7T engine which is easily chipped for 320 HP, and can put out over 500 HP with stock internals, just turbo swap to larger ones. You can make it into a 600, 700 HP or more monster.

What you should do is think about what you want, an then ask specific questions. For the first 6 months, don't do anything to your Allroad as far as modding is concerned. Keep reading the forums.

Then you'll know if you want to keep the car or what you want to modify.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Damian,

The only difficult thing about maintaining an Allroad or any Audi in Australia is finding parts at a decent price. I buy most my parts on-line from US or UK, the 'major' parts are less than 50% of Aus dealer prices becuase the parts suppliers will sell to public though retailers but won't in Australia. (Try to buy the Bosch Aux water pump in Aust. they won't sell it to you direct or through a retailer, dealer wants A$362 + GST, yet you can buy the original Bosch part on-line from US for less than A$150 including shipping to Aus. Small parts (bolts, clamps, spings) are about 80% cheaper in US, just got to factor in the shipping charges. Get an electronic parts finder and look up the part numbers, check for RHD and we have the European 'warm climate' release so some parts are different to US. You can import parts less than A$1k (excluding shipping) without paying Aus customs duty.

As for 19" 'factory' wheels, my understanding is:
Audi A8 - 19" * 8.5 with 42 offset
Audi RS$(B7) 19" * 9 with 29 offset
Both with 255/40 tyres will fit

let us know what radio set up you go with.

John535is
Sydney
2004, 2.7TT Auto
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys, again, a big help! as for modding, I probably should have called it maintenance with a little bit of bolt on! :-) I'm not chasing big hp as I find the car to be quite enjoyable even standard but I will most likely want to add an exhaust and upgrade the airbox and diverter valves(?)

GTA_Driver: thanks, I was referring to the plethora of parts and selection available in regards to ease of maintenance as well as costings for products in Aus, but I have been doing some more googling and talked to some shops in UK and US via email to hopefully get a list of suppliers I can turn to! you have peaked my interest stating that my engine can handle decent power with simple upgrades! I think my goal in the finish would be a power output of about 200kw?

John535is: Good to hear from a 'local' :-) an electronic parts finder you say? hmmmm sounds like a good investment, she goes in for a service and check up in a couple of weeks time so hopefully it's all in good condition, if it's a clean bill of health then I'll take some photos of her before I begin to aesthetically fondle her!

YKallroad: I never saw that allroad buyers guide! sometimes i can't see for looking eh! I'll give it a read and get my knowledge up a bit. this arnott kit is static yes? do you run it on your audi and what is it like in regards to ride quality?

again I appreciate everyone's time in replying to me and not burning me out! I have used the search functions but sifting through so many answers when I don't understand everything spoken about was daunting and I felt I was better suited to asking my questions and giving myself a base of answers easy to refer to. thanks guys I am indebted to you :-)

Damian
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think my goal in the finish would be a power output of about 200kw?
A stock 2.7T has 250 HP, which is about 186 kw, no? A basic stage 1 tune will put you at about 230 kw.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

YKallroad: I never saw that allroad buyers guide! sometimes i can't see for looking eh! I'll give it a read and get my knowledge up a bit. this arnott kit is static yes? do you run it on your audi and what is it like in regards to ride quality?
I have the Arnott kit. It is static (ie not adjustable.) It sits at level 2, or slightly lower. Ride quality is good, more taut than the stock air suspension. I paid about $2000 installed for the kit, and was able to recoup over half of that by selling the old components (as my air ride was functioning when I removed it.)
Example:
  • compressor, $200
  • struts $150/each
  • control module $170

I also have the Unitronic chip, bumping power up to 315hp and 315 lb/ft. The turbos have already been replaced, so I wasn't too worried about wearing out those components with the added boost.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am new to Audi as well, after Bimmers for 20+ years.
For the parts finder, you can buy an ETK type on fleabay for a few dollars, or some free ones on sites but they tend to be for the US market (cold climate) options.
Lots of US parts suppliers available but finding ones with on-line prices that ship for reasonable costs to Aust is a little harder. I have had good service from pelican and blauparts, mainly from years of BMW parts purchasing. UK suppliers don't generally have on-line pricing like US but use fleabay so you need to know the part number, hence the ETK comes in handy.
You will need some 12 point keys for Audi bolt heads (US call them triple square, UK call them Ribe, Aus call them 12 point) but if your vehicle as been serviced by someone not familiar with Audi they may have jammed an allen key in the bolt head and rounded off the internal socket which makes it a PITA to remove. You can get away with Torx keys if they are not to tight.

enjoy

Quick Reply: New Allroad owner with a few questions?