Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Allroad owner with a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by John535is
I am new to Audi as well, after Bimmers for 20+ years.
For the parts finder, you can buy an ETK type on fleabay for a few dollars, or some free ones on sites but they tend to be for the US market (cold climate) options.
Lots of US parts suppliers available but finding ones with on-line prices that ship for reasonable costs to Aust is a little harder. I have had good service from pelican and blauparts, mainly from years of BMW parts purchasing. UK suppliers don't generally have on-line pricing like US but use fleabay so you need to know the part number, hence the ETK comes in handy.
You will need some 12 point keys for Audi bolt heads (US call them triple square, UK call them Ribe, Aus call them 12 point) but if your vehicle as been serviced by someone not familiar with Audi they may have jammed an allen key in the bolt head and rounded off the internal socket which makes it a PITA to remove. You can get away with Torx keys if they are not to tight.

enjoy
I have ETKA international that I bought from a UK seller on eBay...covers every world market...don't know if you can still find these(?) ...Anyone who politely posts a polite request for a part number (any world market), will get a response from me, just as soon as I notice the post.

As for "cold country"...the USA is a hot country on Audi's list ...and mine...it top 100F in "cool: East TN on regular basis summertime. Both my A8 and my wife's Alroad are designated "hot country cars"...on the ID sticker, you'll see the code "8Z6" indicating this. The A8 was originally sold in NYC and the AR in Hotlanta.

To the OP: Loved Tazzy...was down (up?) there years back and spent 90% of that South Pacific visit driving all over the island in a rental car, burning up film and on the look out for "tigers" ...What a great place for scenery, wildlife and driving.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks again everyone! so a stage one allroad with basic mods can net me a decent power figure in the low 200's without too much drama, sounds exactly what i'm wanting out of my car. I will also have a good search for the parts catalogue to give myself a good reference and something to read before bed! :-)

next question I have will be a case that includes your personal preference, I spoke before of wheel choices for my Allroad, and I would like to leave the air suspension set up as stock if I can, now as it is on the standard 17's on the lowest setting it sits nicely right on the top of the tyres, I do want to go bigger but am concerned if I go with a 19inch wheel it won't look any good unless I modify the suspension as i think it will jack up the height? and if I go with 18's the concern is they will look too small unde the guards but I imagine they'll look better in regards to the factory low setting? I've tried searching some images but they don't specify if the set up was on the stock air suspension on low or not?

sorry if that post is a little confusing but I'm having a tough time mentally working out what I need to do, any and all help and suggestions will be welcomed with open arms!

Damian
Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Name:  20131006_144516_zpsabd817fb.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  80.7 KB
Name:  20131006_144503_zps69c1203a.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  119.4 KB

hopefully these 2 pics work of my new addition? this is at the low setting with the standard rims on her.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the correction Silverd2 on the cold and warm climate models. My information came from the Audi dealer parts section in Sydney, when I presented what part numbers I wanted from my ETKA they gave me grief because one was a cold climate part number so implied they were 'US model cold climate parts' generally. I will probably never step in there again anyway.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good! Also it appears to sit slightly lower than it should. Nothing a proper 402 mod correction won't fix. By the looks of it, the car was dropped by 20 mm.

Last edited by GTA_Driver; 10-08-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought it sat pretty low for 'standard' low! so a set of 18inch wheels should look good without any other mods like that? now to figure a style that suits the wagon body? oem look preferably :-)

Now, I do have a little question regarding cleaning of the engine bay, mine is absolutely filthy! not just dirty but FILTHY! the previous owner drove it from Tassie up to Darwin through the red dust 3 times before i got her and I need to fix this pronto!

I have heard that you CANNOT wash the bay with water as it effects some sensors, but then I've read you can use a light mist of water to wash off your cleaning products as long as you don't spray directly into the parts? others say to tape off the delicate parts with plastic bags, I am happy to cover any parts but I don't know what parts to protect or even where they're situated in the bay? can anyone show me where the bits i need to be careful of are and offer any advice for washing this dirty girl!?

Is it o.k if I use this thread to show my progress with 'Helga' as i go or do i need to begin another build/detail thread on the forum? I'd really like to show you guys as I progress with the fix up and say thanks for your help!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I sprayed my engine bay down with a hose and uncounted no problems.
My experience is uncommon though.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can spray down your engine bay with a hose no problem. Just make sure to do it when the engine is cold. I've cleaned the engine bay on my allroad, along with countless other cars. I then will typically used compressed air to blow excess water out of crevasses.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nerdfest09
I thought it sat pretty low for 'standard' low! so a set of 18inch wheels should look good without any other mods like that? now to figure a style that suits the wagon body? oem look preferably :-)
Allroad comes with 18" rims (2004, 2005 MY with the 4.2 V8 engine). They are 5-spoke, 18"x7.5", with ET25mm.

In my opinion, 5-spoke rims look best on the Allroad. There are a lot of choices, but going low profile (19" or 20") will look silly when driving in L3 or L4.

My 18" set up (I'm using original 18" wheels from 4.2) looks good even at L3. It's lower profile tires than 17" but not too crazy.

Go for RS6 replicas (18" x 8.5")

I have heard that you CANNOT wash the bay with water as it effects some sensors, but then I've read you can use a light mist of water to wash off your cleaning products as long as you don't spray directly into the parts? others say to tape off the delicate parts with plastic bags, I am happy to cover any parts but I don't know what parts to protect or even where they're situated in the bay? can anyone show me where the bits i need to be careful of are and offer any advice for washing this dirty girl!?
I washed my engine bay, and no issues were found. Power washed, so water went everywhere. Also used engine degreaser before that.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going to attempt to wash the engine bay hopefully if i get the time this weekend, if not then next weekend is detailing day! i've got some simple green, some soft hair brushes a hose fitting with a soft shower and a lot of crossed fingers :-)

also I've seen some 18inch wheels in my price range that come with tyres but i'm still uncertain as to what all the offsets and sizes mean? the ones I found are these
http://www.stgeorgetyres.com.au/pack...ct-detail.aspx

would they fit without drama and look right? opinions please as I find the wheel purchase the most important to the look of the car! my other preferred style is the mesh BBS style with a polished lip and gunmetal centre? but alas I cannot find any and wouldn't know what to ask for for fitment :-) anywhoo I must go and try and find out how to remove all the woodgrain in my car interior for painting now......

thanks guys catch you tomorrow more than likely!

Quick Reply: New Allroad owner with a few questions?