Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Allroad owner with a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"Tassie to Darwin" !? ...not Mt. Darwin south of Queenstown, I presume. All the way to Darwin, NT !!?? THAT is a drive! ...over 4000 km one way!
Where on Tasmania did you start the drive? I'll bet you had to get up some speed to cross the Bass Strait without sinking

I logged well over 2000 km on a rental car just on Tasmania years back, started and ended in Hobart...including all over the southwest, Gordon, Queenstown, Lake St Claire, Hartz Mtns (including driving a rock road up to a plateau/waterfalls ...snowing up there in September), all around Devonport/Launceston and Freycinet.

Beautiful land and incredible wildlife.

Last edited by silverd2; 10-18-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Silverd2: Lol :-) yes mate it was a drive from Tassie to the top end of Australia! wasn't myself who made the long drive but the previous owner! and he did it 3 times so that is a good advertisement for the allroad!

you should come back and do Tasmania again sometime, I'm in the North of the state and it's just coming into spring now and the weather is perfect for long cruises with the roof open and the throttle down along some winding roads. I don't think I could get enough speed up yet to zip across the straight but i'm willing to try lol! :-)

I've found my wheels locally now as well, and have lined up a couple of other mods and fix ups so hopefully soon I can show you some updates on the beginning of changing her looks a bit!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Another question more based on aesthetics, I'm re doing my woodgrain trim inside the cabin but am unsure as what I should/could do with my woodgrain auto ****? will aftermarket ones fit easily? or do you guys know of any that look good that i can search for (with the button on the right hand side for Aus)it'll look odd if everything else is different with a shiny wooden **** in the middle! :-)

thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Whoops! forgot to post this which is the one I'm looking at?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190820853...#ht_490wt_1170
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone? or you guys all busy driving around in your ar's? lol :-)
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

O.k so I've been obviously browsing the forums and internet lately for some info on modifying our cars slightly and I've been dumbfounded by the Air Intake! it seems a real point of contention to some when it comes to gains or benefit at all to our 2.7T engines.

I originally was going to buy a x-1 intake and heat shield kit to help with the exhaust and down pipes I bought, but then my wallet started slapping me and said "NO" so I thought i'd search and see if anyone made a bolt in heat shield we could use to make our own version of the intake set up? I couldn't find anything! so I looked into what others were doing to their engines air intake and the 'Swiss Cheese Mod' kept popping up a lot. After a bit of reading it seems that doing the SCM doesn't actually do much more than add the noise of the induction to the mix?

seeing as the point of the exercise is to make the air cooler with more volume would it be plausible as an idea to simply use a heat shield wrap or foil to deflect heat from that part of the motor with a stock airbox? or even with the SCM and then wrapping to stop heat soak? i'm guessing the gains would be miniscule but for longevity and ease of application is it viable? or will my C5 still run better with dp's and exhaust and the stock airbox etc.?

cheers guys

Damian
Old 10-23-2013, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the stock air box is pretty decent at keeping the air cool and is not very restrictive. I would throw in a high flow air filter of your choice into the stock air box and spend your money on bigger and better things.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by G0to60
Honestly, the stock air box is pretty decent at keeping the air cool and is not very restrictive. I would throw in a high flow air filter of your choice into the stock air box and spend your money on bigger and better things.

Exactly. Much much better performance gains if you get a stage 1 tune. You'll get 60-70 HP and 70-80 ft-lbs of torque, something that no air intake can do for you.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like i've encountered my first head scratcher problem with Helga, it's an issue that is sporadic and has only appeared twicw to date but I want to remedy the situation as soon as I can:

Turning left I sometimes get a rather loud groaning noise coming from the steering rack area, it only happens when turning left and it doesn't crunch or grind it's as if something is rubbing or touching somewhere and it wails quite loud, is this common? i've searched and the most often result is a power steering pump or fluids? and the next was the centre diff?

i've driven her for over a week now with no noises but I have a feeling it will return again, it was also a warm day if that might have an effect?

thanks guys!

Damian
Old 11-03-2013, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nerdfest09
Looks like i've encountered my first head scratcher problem with Helga, it's an issue that is sporadic and has only appeared twicw to date but I want to remedy the situation as soon as I can:

Turning left I sometimes get a rather loud groaning noise coming from the steering rack area, it only happens when turning left and it doesn't crunch or grind it's as if something is rubbing or touching somewhere and it wails quite loud, is this common? i've searched and the most often result is a power steering pump or fluids? and the next was the centre diff?

i've driven her for over a week now with no noises but I have a feeling it will return again, it was also a warm day if that might have an effect?

thanks guys!

Damian

Is it common? Not exactly, but C5 Audis do have rack failures as did my Camaro Z28. It happens.

Check the PS fluid level. If low, add only genuine Audi fluid ($$$).

If the fluid level is ok, and the noise happens only when turning left (and if it is coming from the PS rack), the valve inside it could be getting stuck. This would require a new/rebuilt rack.

Is it the differential? The 2 would make different noises. Does steering ever get stiff?

Quick Reply: New Allroad owner with a few questions?