Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New allroad Owner, and I .. am .. HOOKED

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New allroad Owner, and I .. am .. HOOKED

hello everyone.. I just got a 2002 allroad in "Atlas Gray" from my local Audu dealer in Cleveland, which means it was safety checked and not much else.

It has a few issues, but because I love the car, Im ready and willing to get into it and spend the money..

My first Question..

The dealer has had the Air Ride Suspension replaced with a coil suspension system. 1) Is it worth getting it switched back? I test drove one with the Air suspension and it was not as tight of a ride, but I like the versatility of it. 2) Even though the Air ride is out, the car makes intermitent hissing when I stop Driving it. I would wager that the Air compresors are attempting to lower the car, but will it hurt the car to leave them there if I keep the coils?

Thanks guys

K
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air suspension is a common source of issues for many, especially on a 10-year old Allroad. I say, keep the coilovers for now. You could always get generation 2 bags from Arnott and bilstein shocks. Parts alone will add up to well over 2 grand.

Are there any warning lights in your dashboard? Since the car is hissing it appears some components are still connected. I wonder if they took the cluster out and put some black tape over the light.

In any case, you should make sure to disconnect the compressor with the valve block, and the suspension ECU (inside the trunk in the left compartment).
Old 01-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are awesome cars when everything is working properly. Like most VW products they don't work 100% all the time. They are loaded with technology and all sorts of neat features... that consequently fail. That being said, I still bought another one anyway, but only as a toy.

The air suspension - Keep it out of the car if you like your bank account. I did the math and to replace the suspension in whole or part will cost you from $1600(if you did the work yourself with used parts) to $6000 or more. Your particular issue seems to be what was already mentioned. Make sure you disconnect the suspension ECM and the accessories it controls. The good part about having a coil over converted car is that you can go up or down in ride height for an overall smaller dollar amount than the air suspension. IMO - the coil over conversion makes this car more desirable/affordable.

The engine - Make sure the timing has been done, the valve cover gaskets and cam plugs get done, check the turbo oil feed and return lines for leaks, and look for a coolant leak under the intake manifold (auxiliary coolant pump fails occasionally and is a PITA to do).

The transmission - If you have an automatic chances are good you will need to change the fluid. Audi/VW calls it "lifetime" and the best way to put it is: If you don't change the fluid, then the life of the transmission is as short as the life of the fluid. Therefore when the transmission breaks, the fluid has lasted the lifetime of the transmission! Funny and cruel joke.
The tiptronic, and autos in general, are prone to a reverse gear failure... like mine... This is common and usually requires you to replace/rebuild the transmission. I will be removing the transmission and replacing the Reverse drum that fails and reassembling it only because I am doing the work myself.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Clarity..

Originally Posted by Gearheadny.com
These are awesome cars when everything is working properly. Like most VW products they don't work 100% all the time. They are loaded with technology and all sorts of neat features... that consequently fail. That being said, I still bought another one anyway, but only as a toy.

The air suspension - Keep it out of the car if you like your bank account. I did the math and to replace the suspension in whole or part will cost you from $1600(if you did the work yourself with used parts) to $6000 or more. Your particular issue seems to be what was already mentioned. Make sure you disconnect the suspension ECM and the accessories it controls. The good part about having a coil over converted car is that you can go up or down in ride height for an overall smaller dollar amount than the air suspension. IMO - the coil over conversion makes this car more desirable/affordable.

The engine - Make sure the timing has been done, the valve cover gaskets and cam plugs get done, check the turbo oil feed and return lines for leaks, and look for a coolant leak under the intake manifold (auxiliary coolant pump fails occasionally and is a PITA to do).

The transmission - If you have an automatic chances are good you will need to change the fluid. Audi/VW calls it "lifetime" and the best way to put it is: If you don't change the fluid, then the life of the transmission is as short as the life of the fluid. Therefore when the transmission breaks, the fluid has lasted the lifetime of the transmission! Funny and cruel joke.
The tiptronic, and autos in general, are prone to a reverse gear failure... like mine... This is common and usually requires you to replace/rebuild the transmission. I will be removing the transmission and replacing the Reverse drum that fails and reassembling it only because I am doing the work myself.
Just so I have clarity..

It IS possible to get adjustable height WITHOUT using the air bag syste? Is it still controlled by the up and Down buttons in the dash?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes.. Every now and then the Suspension light comes on.. maybe one in five times of driving it.. beyond that , the car just rolls.. I can not believe how amazing it rides..
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its not possible to automatically adjust height without airbags. Only if you physically change the height of the coil over or you change the spring of the coil over assembly. There is no automatic height adjustment with coil overs. You could always rock hydraulics...
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Its not possible to automatically adjust height without airbags. Only if you physically change the height of the coil over or you change the spring of the coil over assembly. There is no automatic height adjustment with coil overs. You could always rock hydraulics...
yeh.. No thanks.. (hehe)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi/VW calls it "lifetime" and the best way to put it is: If you don't change the fluid, then the life of the transmission is as short as the life of the fluid. Therefore when the transmission breaks, the fluid has lasted the lifetime of the transmission! Funny and cruel joke.
LOL!