Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New mod to my RNS-E (not for the faint of heart)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lol - i have to admit i didn't spend enough time reading your post but figured it out that

you weren't repairing the board, only exposing it. It looks like you are maybe sending it off to Haggie? Let me know if that happens or if you find another repair place:-)
Old 10-20-2008, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is that not the varnish the boards are coated with? When you say alex are you refering to Proxis?

I bought my rns-e from him and found him less than responsive to questions after the sale even though he comes highly recommended on the navplus forum. If it is corrosion I would scrub it off with a contact cleaner and a tooth brush and fire it back up. You have nothing to loose but time. I have had much success just cleaning corroded chip connections unless the contact pin has been corroded through.You should look at the back side as well if it is corrosion.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes the cooked chip will be obvious, with heat stains like the pcb.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll give that a shot...sounds like something an ME can do. Oh, by Alex.....I meant Trabek
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm going to look under that board particularly in that area for more clues. chip appears ok on top.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I remember reading a post on this forum about replacing the internals

Someone opened it up and replaced either a board or the screen. I forget which one, but it did fix his RSNE. Search the forum, you may find it.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Holy sh$#%t batman! I fixed it! 100% functionality. How can I buy autosolutions a beer?

I was about to go to bed and walked by the silent RNS-E hulk and said "what the heck?"

Took that suspect board off to inspect the bottom. No fried looking chips or other signs of damage, so I figured it might all be contained on that top surface.

Per autosolutions, I decided to try to clean that area on the top. I took 1 Q-tip and a touch of rubbing alcohol and lightly went over the area. It's not corrosion, but most likely coke syrup or similar. It came right off. I spent about 10 minutes carefully working around the chips and the pins.

Put her back together (whew, found a hole for all the screws), and plugged that bad boy up. It even took the code the first time which is rare. DVD ejected, NAV worked, presets all there, screen display and tilt, all of it baby!

Thanks autosolutions for loaning me a pair of nads to get the courage to work on that thing.

Cross my fingers it lasts, but I think it's fine.

Now, where'd that syrup come from. I've never spilled a drop of anything. Even if I did, how that one single drop made its way to the back of the unit under the DVD is beyond me when everything else was pristine is mindboggling. The only scenario I can think of: preexisting from the original owner who put in a CD with some coke on it. It dripped off the CD and somehow through its casing onto the board below. Since it took the unlock code right off, makes me suspect that more that it was preexisting.

Who cares. It works!