Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New owner, no owner's manual, trying to figure out all the gizmos

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice allroad. Especially the clear headlight lenses. Mine are junk.

The S-line badges will screw with people for sure.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is definetly a really clean allroad. I dont know about the s-line badges. is there a particular upgrade to the car that is s-line status?

As for Kristopher i totally had nasty headlights for the longest time on mine and did not want to pay the 80 to 100 bucks for someone to buff them out or the 400 dollars for new ones. I was at autozone and saw a headlight repair kit that i thought id give a try. (figured why not, they're screwed up anyway) and it worked i think it was like twenty bucks and the headlights look brand new.

matt
Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mpalumbo
That is definetly a really clean allroad. I dont know about the s-line badges. is there a particular upgrade to the car that is s-line status?

As for Kristopher i totally had nasty headlights for the longest time on mine and did not want to pay the 80 to 100 bucks for someone to buff them out or the 400 dollars for new ones. I was at autozone and saw a headlight repair kit that i thought id give a try. (figured why not, they're screwed up anyway) and it worked i think it was like twenty bucks and the headlights look brand new.

matt
Good call on the headlights. The 3M kit is also fairly cheap and a lot of folks have used it with success:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2761291&page=2

Key is, after you get them clear again, you have to keep them clean, otherwise they will just get hazy again. I treat dirt on my headlights like bird poop on my hood. It comes off as soon as I notice it. Mine were so bad that we replaced them with a new set from Audi.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just checked, it was the same kit. 3M's kit. Beautiful results. You just have to be careful doing it though. My father did one side and hit the chrome and it kind of messed it up. Other than that i love it.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jibmaster1
You cut the plastic link and taped it back together? Seriously? Hows that working for you? Did you try to use a VAG-COM device to 402 it? It's that or the dealership or it can't be done right. It's easy though.
BTW, I have a Full owners manual from an 02' ar. All the extra factory manuals for the radio, etc is in there too. $20 plus shipping and it's yours. You can email me through this site if interested.
It's working just fine till now with the shorter links, but I'll probably want to solidify them more later as I think they might bend a bit over time. I did use a 402 mod for the rear, but it just wasn't lowering the car enough in front so the car almost looked a bit over-loaded in the back. Definitely not the look I was looking for. Looks pretty good now.

As for the clear lenses, I paid 50 bucks for a dude at my shop to buff and polish and clear them. He did an awesome job I thought. Me, I would've messed it up for sure.

Owner's manual for 20$? definitely interested. I'll email you. thanks.

And yea, I know the s-line badges aren't totally "legit" on that car, but I had them from a previous car, and they cost me so much at the time that I didn't want to let go of them, so here you go. I guess they give the car that personal touch :-)
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've tried the Turtle Wax kit and it got most of the rough cracking off the outside of the lense. I'm thinking the inside is either dirty (along the same area as the outside had cracking) or the inside is also cracked. The car was from Cali but the paint is in decent shape as is the rubber so I'm not sure what's up with the lenses. Might try to find a new set of lenses if that's possible.

Oh, I forgot - the R/T on the steering wheel is for the Radio/ Telephone. I have an 02 so I have some more buttons for the symphonyII stereo instead.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks again for all the explanations. I figured out pretty much everything for now.

For the clear headlights, I paid 50 bucks to get the job done. The dude had done a ton of them and I was going to mess it up for sure if I tried it myself so I figured 50 bucks was cheap enough.

As for the s-line badges, I know they don't quite belong on the car. I'll spare you the long story and just tell you they come from a previous car and they have a sentimental value (and a pretty surprising cash value too )

So I went for the car's first rock climbing road-trip last week, a 500 mile round trip through the white mountains, and the car behaved wonderfully. I'm already convinced this is going to be the best car I ever had. There was only one little thing I couldn't figure out.

The thing is, the central screen in the cluster is defective; you can only see about half the 'pixels.' I will have it fixed sometime soon, but in the meantime I miss a lot of the info the car is giving me. For instance, the car started giving me a warning beep and a yellow symbol at the top of that screen about half-way through the trip. It kept reappearing and disappearing for a while, and then never came back on. All I could see was a symbol that looked like a yellow circle with something written in the middle of it. I could make out the letters m, p, and g, in the middle or towards the end of the word, but it's hard to be sure.
Any ideas what that warning could have been?
Old 08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dont have my manual handy, but this is a couple common ones. It sounds like it could be the mph speed warning, but if you never touched the buttons on the gauge cluster, that shouldnt come on.

Last edited by ricam78; 08-16-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is one more helpful post:

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec57.shtml
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks!
the mph speed, that was exactly it. I was trying to set the time and date when I started getting that warning so I must have set it by mistake.

Mystery solved!

Quick Reply: New owner, no owner's manual, trying to figure out all the gizmos