Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

New Tire Options for Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tire Options for Allroad

I wanted to hear everyones thoughts on what they are running for an allseason performance tire. I am on moving to my third set of tires within 50K. The latest set of goodyear eagles have about 15K on them and are wearing unevenly despite good alignment and frequent pressure checks. What experience do folks have with the pirelli allroad tire, the michelin pilots, or nokian. Looking for an allseason tire combo. Thanks
Old 10-30-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default seriously, a topic covered every few weeks here. Search will reveal disdain for

OE tires - stay away from Goodyear or Pirelli.
Girlroad just posted about this 3-4 weeks back. See this month's issue of Consumer Reports, too, for neutral comparisons of these types of tires.
There's barely a page on this forum without a tire opinion. I don't like Falken allseasons for winter use, BTW, but others use them for winter only. See, different opinions. Paulroad was surveying on interest in Falkens for aobut $70 last week. Search.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM

Default I found the Falkens wore fast; now run Yoko AVID H4S 3-seasons.

I only got 17K out of the Falken 512s, but probably would have gotten more miles if I ran more than 40 psi. They were a great 3-season tire.

The Yokohama AVID H4S handles almost as well as the 512 in the dry, and just as well or better in the wet. However, it has a 60K warranty, IIRC, so it should wear longer.

My POS OEM Pirellis were a so-so tire that didn't wear long.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 AM

I've also had great results with Yoko AVID H4S, have put 30K on mine.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm approaching 45K on my Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE-V's

Good on dry and wet, ok in snow, very quiet. Down to 4/32's so wet traction is starting to wane.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default third set of Flakens Ziex 512, NYC winters, 30K miles per set 74.00 per tire.

FYI...No hypothetical group purchase.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ski, just a thought but how are your tie rods ends or PS rack? (more)

The reason that I ask is that my friend Doug that has my 01 A6 Tip car was eating up tires as well but only on the inside of the front tires.
The indy shop thought that it was tie rod ends but it turns out that the PS rack was bad, and needed to be replaced.

Needless to say I felt bad that the rack went bad until Doug reminded me that he has had the car for almost 2 years now.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've had Pirelli P6 allroads, Nokian WRs and Falken Ziex 512s...

Wasn't all that impressed with any of them. Nokians are unreal in the snow, but sloppy otherwise, Falkens were nice and sporty but wore fast and were very loud after about 5K. And the P6s speak for themselves.

Currently I'm running a set of Kuhmo Ecsta ASX. So far they seem great. Quiet, smooth and seem to be wearing evenly. I have a few thousand miles on them.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My experience says...

P6 allroad tires are an absolute disaster, just stay away

Falkens were a huge improvement over stock tires, much better grip on wet and dry vs stock tires. I don't like them in the snow, not enough grab for safe stopping.

Michelin Pilot Sports -- I had them on my Jetta, they were great wet and dry tires, never used them in snow. However I hear their construction is not ideal for the allroad -- a search will give you more detail on this.

You may also want to look at Avon's (a Cooper Brand). feed back on them has been fairly good although I do not know about winter performance. Gary at Tirerack on the tire forum could probably give you some feedback.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default These posts crack me up. Do you prefer Blondes, Brunettes or ? Opinions, all opinions. Funny, but...

I need to do the same, before winter (I better hurry). I can't decide between the WR or the RSI Nokian. I do know I am going to seperate winter, summer. Jon

Quick Reply: New Tire Options for Allroad