Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

No start, just click

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, just click

I picked up an allroad (2004 4.2 79k) last week and have been struggling with an issue ever since. Here's the back ground ...

After some extensive searching I finally find what I believe to be a good allroad. I drive ~120 miles to give it a good going over (looking for wet floor boards, bad CV's, underbody rust/damage, etc) and take it for a test drive. It's at an independent used car lot and they had it for ~3 months. When I get there, they ha to jump start it - not surprising as I know they've had the car for an extended period. Once jumped it runs fine, no lights, no funny noises, no weird smells.

While on the test drive, I swing by Autozone and have them put it on the scanner (I know, not a VAG, but nonetheless it comes back clean). After a 45 minute test drive, I head back to the used car lot and we discuss price, sign the papers and I'm on my way.

During the drive back I stop for gas and then to eat both times the car starts with no issue. For most of the drive back it was raining, so I had both the lights and wipers on (voltmeter shows ~14 the whole time). Again no issues.

The next morning I go to start the car and though the gauges light up, there's no response (to be clear it does not try to start at all). I write it off as a old/bad battery (I'm a replace the battery early to help extend the alternator life kind of guy) and pick up a replacement battery at AZ the next day.

After letting the battery sit on my trickle charger over night and installing it in the car - same result. So, I resort to the previous solution and jump start the car. It starts easily with a jump.

After jumping the car it runs and drives with no issue, though I hear what may be an idler/tensioner pulley with noisy bearing. And I expect it will start again during the day, but return to the same "no start" state by tomorrow morning.

So, I do some research here and find a few possible culprits the most likely seems to be the ignition switch is a common fault, but the solution (aside from replacing) seems to be holding the key in the "start" position for an extended period. I tried that with no result.

If you've read through all this and are still here, I appreciate it and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn the ignition key to on, not to start. Read the voltmeter. Anything below 12 go buy a battery. A bad cell or 2 can cause issues.
When the car is running the voltage on the meter registers what the alternator is putting out.
Good luck.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
Turn the ignition key to on, not to start. Read the voltmeter. Anything below 12 go buy a battery. A bad cell or 2 can cause issues.
When the car is running the voltage on the meter registers what the alternator is putting out.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and in case it was lost in the rambling text that was my 1st post, this is a new/replacement battery that was conditioned and trickle charged overnight.

Doing as you describe, I turned the ignition to the ON position, saw all the dash lights, and get 12.39 on my trusty multimeter.

The more and more I read (not limited to allroads) I think my next best try is a new ignition switch.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I missed the part where you said you bought a new battery.
Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update - Same "no start" sympton. Followed the suggestions in other threads about wiggling the steering wheel and after

removing the key
turning the steering wheel until lock
then trying to start while tugging on the steering wheel

AND IT STARTED.

Pardon the yelling, but I'm rather excited to have potentially identified this as a bad ignition switch. I'll be ordering one and replacing it this week.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm taking my car in to a shop tomorrow to have them work on this issue. It sounds like you have read my threads as well. I haven't tried turning the wheel like that, but I will try it today and see if it works.

Things I have tried: cleaning battery terminals, wiggling key while holding it turned in start position, wiggling transmission shifter in both Park and Neutral, checked wiring to starter. The solution that I have been using recently is: hold key in start position for up to 1 minute. The car doesn't start, so I just let it sit for 3-5 minutes and try again. When I try again, it fires right up every time.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My (previuos) only solution was to jump start the car (not my favorite solution, even if a temporary one). Though, once I got it started on any day, it would start just fine the rest of that day.

Today was a big turning point, as now I feel I've identified/isolated the issue and will be ordering/replacing the part this week. If it wasn't for some great match play golf on TV today, I might even try taking it out and cleaning the contact points.

If this completely resolves my issue, I'll be very happy and will feel a little more comfortable spending a few $'s on H-sports, etc.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried playing with the steering wheel interlock today and it had no effect. I still had to use my hold key for 1 minute - let sit for 5 min - try again and start car approach this afternoon. I have never tried jumping it as it doesn't seem to be a battery problem since once it cranks it fires right up, the problem is it just doesn't crank at all. But I agree once it is started in the morning, it is fine the rest of the day unless it sits for say 8 hours or more. But we definitely have the same problem, and there is at least one other 4.2 owner with the same problem as well so hopefully we can figure it out soon.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the ignition switch doesn't fix it, it could be the starter. It gets very hot in the engine compartment of a 4.2 and symptoms are similar to a bad ignition switch.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a similar problem on my 2003 2.7T

If the engines are kind of similar, look for what is called a "Green Temp Sender"

It shouldn't cost you too much and barring the difficult position it might sit in (replaced it myself after the Audi techie put on the right track and told me what to buy...), just replace this. It solved my problem at less than $40

Bear in mind I'm in South Africa, so you should get it even cheaper.

Quick Reply: No start, just click