Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

No start, just click

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B490MTL
If the ignition switch doesn't fix it, it could be the starter. It gets very hot in the engine compartment of a 4.2 and symptoms are similar to a bad ignition switch.
This is the answer. My car has been in the shop this week and they finally diagnosed the problem to be with the starter. I did a bunch of searching the B6 S4 forums as well, and it turns out this is an extremely common problem.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm on day 5 of starting it by bumping the bottom of the steering column. The part arrived yesterday and between the rain and me not alreayd having the "triple square bit", the installation of the ignition relay may have to wait until Sunday.

I'll update once I've completed the install.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: New ignition switch installed, started with no "special effort".

Overview of process:

Tools:
Torx bits T25 & T30
Triple Square bit M12
Phillips head screw driver (must be long & skinny, I used #0 x 3")
Flat head screw driver, must be small like 1/8 " blade.
10mm open/box end wrench
1/4" ratchet
1/4" deep well socket
3"x1/4" extension
3/8 ratchet
13mm deep well socket
3"x3/8" extension

Steps:
1) Move drivers seat all the way back
2) Move steering wheel all the way out and up
3) Turn steering wheel so it's centered/squared up.
4) Disconnect battery (I removed both Pos & Neg)
5) Try horn to make sure there's NO POWER (I didn't want a face full of airbag )
6) Loosen the (2) T30 torx bits on the upper back of the steering wheel center to release the airbag (I used a 1/4" ratchet with my torx bits)
7) Move airbag towards you, and disconnect connections (some I disconnected from the bag, some I removed from the steering wheel center)
8) Mark your steering wheel for alignment (I put a thin piece of blue painters tape on top of wheel aligned with a matching pirce on dash above instrument cluster)
9) Remove steering wheel using the M12 triple square bit, 13mm deep well socket, 3 x 3/8 extension & 3/8 ratchet
10) Remove 2 small phillps head screws on front side of steering column surround
11) Remove T25 torx bit from bottom of steering column surround
12) Remove 2 (very) small phillips head screws from bottom of steering wheel surround (front corners of where the steering wheel mates up to the steering column)
13) Carefully remove the steering column surround (disconnecting the steering wheels adjustment wires on the left)
14) You should now be able to see the ignition switch connection on the left hand side, which pulls off fairly easy
15) Find the 2 red dots (kind of like dried crayon) that cover the screws which hold the ignition switch into place (unless it's been previously replaced), scrape the red off and back the screws out, but you do not need to completely remove them
16) Slide the ignition swicth out
17) Slide the new one in (you may need to put the key in the ignition to help "align things"), snug the screws back down. Not too tight as they are just to keep it from sliding out
18) At this point, you'll need to reverse all the steps to put everything back together. Watch all the connections/wires to make sure you don't forget any or have them snag on anything.

After it's all buttoned up, re-attach the battery and enjoy (what should be) trouble free starting.

Hope this helps and sorry I didn't take any pictures.