Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

To oil the compresor's intake or not to.. Interesting answer from Adam Arnott

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To oil the suspensicompresor's intake or not to.. Interesting answer from Adam Arnott

So I will admit, I was wrong. But the reasons not to use the oil are very interesing and make sense.

From Arnott Industries' Adam Arnott:

"Using oil in the compressor system will cause long term damage to the compressor, valve block, and even the air springs. The compressors are designed to run dry. Oil will only cause the piston rings to swell up and turn soft over time. Oil will also degrade the dessicate in the air dryer. The dessicant absorbs moisture under high pressure. Oil in the dryer will cause the dessicant to loose its absorbing properties. This will allow the compressor to flood tank with water. In a short note, air suspension can be a pain to maintain at best. Unfortunately, there is no miracle cure for ever lasting air suspension. "

Last edited by paulroad; 07-31-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which flies in the face of accepted maintenance practice in all other pneumatic systems I've ever worked on. Air tool oils are designed to NOT swell rubber o-rings. In fact it conditions them.
As regards the desiccant, well you might be right, but just how much moisture gets in through the spare wheel well?
Just how much volume of air does a non-leaking system consume anyway? I would not have thought very much. Just how much oil does 10 drops distribute to any given component? Not much, I'd suggest.
I had a suspension system that was borderline at best, with a myriad of faults. The stealer said "new valve block $800" A little oil fixed it, instantly and completely. All the faults were caused by sticky valves it would appear. Had I allowed that to continue I'm sure the compressor would have fried in due course as it was constantly trying to push air around with nowhere to go.
By the way, where is the air dryer? Won't the desiccant eventually loose it's effectiveness anyway? Silica is it?Should we all be replacing it periodically? Shouldn't the tank just have a water trap, just like any compressor system and we drain it at the same time as an oil change?
I think Audi were trying to be too clever and make a system 'maintenance free'. It cant be, it isn't.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I happen to agree with your view as I've always been a proponent of a touch of compressor oil every year or so.

FYI, the drier IIRC is vented to the inside of the driver's rear fender liner.

The tank does not have a water trap, but the exit is at the mid point, not the bottom.

I asked Adam Arnott for his view being they designed the replacement air springs and rebuild the pumps.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm keen for Arnott to wade in to this discussion. As you say they rebuild them.
What is it that craps out on them when they need rebuilding? What gets rebuilt?
I'd vote for any o-rings to be air-toll oil compatible, please. They probably already are.
I can't believe that the airbags, either OEM or Arnott, would delaminate with a little oil. If they do, it's a disgrace!
Has anyone found an air tank full of water? Has anyone looked?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

they (Adam Arnott) wrote the post (he emailed to me after I asked).. they did weigh in.

Last edited by paulroad; 08-02-2009 at 06:29 PM.