Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!

Hi Guys I have a 2005 4.2L V8 Allroad. It has a chronic oil leak in around the front of the engine. The car was leaking a lot before I send it to repair shop for major repair

I have given the car to 2 shops, taken the engine apart tried to change most every seal and there is still small drips of oil everyday under the car now.

The shop that is working on it now is telling me to just trade in this troublesome car. (NO)

The car has 55K miles on it and I still want to keep it.

Any idea? The shop has change oil pan gasket,engine cover gasket,belt seal, some seal in the center of the engine(we had to open up the whole engine to get to this one). All of these seals where replaced and the car still leak atleast 3 to 5 drops of oil on my drive way everyday.

It has been driving me nut! I just want to find the source of this damn leak!HELP!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the valve cover gaskets? Those are a chronic problem on my car, they need to be replaced now at 75k miles and were done before I bought it at 35k miles.

Do you still have the plastic belly pan covers on the car under the engine? Those keep any oil from actually hitting my driveway, but when I take them off there is usually some oil coating stuff.

How much oil are you using between oil changes, and what interval are you changing the oil?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
Did you replace the valve cover gaskets? Those are a chronic problem on my car, they need to be replaced now at 75k miles and were done before I bought it at 35k miles.

Do you still have the plastic belly pan covers on the car under the engine? Those keep any oil from actually hitting my driveway, but when I take them off there is usually some oil coating stuff.

How much oil are you using between oil changes, and what interval are you changing the oil?
Thank you I did not put back the belly pan since doing so would not let me see the leak. It was leaking a quart almost 1000miles. Now it is still leaking a little. The valve cover gasket has been changed
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

the one thing that i can think of that would leak is the oil pump, i just changed my tb and put the whole car together and noticed a leak, than i took it all apart and started the car to see where the leak was coming from, and it was a loose bolt behind the TB idler, this is for the oil pump, for some reason as i have read from others on this forum that the bolts loosen up on the oil pump, tightened them to spec and no more leak,
but thats just my case.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Oil leaking like crazy aat 55k miles, that's just ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oil pump is possible. I know some audi's have had porous casting issues. Possible oil pumps a bad casting, or even the entire block. Somebody is going to have to put it in service position, remove the belt covers, clean the engine thoroughly, and then run the engine until the leak is found as it is exiting the leak point.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've got a few spots weeping from my engine and some drops on the ground. I'm rather surprised at the amount of oil leaks. I also have a 14 year old Honda CRV and not one leak ever!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got the car back from the shop. They had told me last week it was leaking from the belt(oil pump) and they either try to replace it or fix it. Since I wasn't charge a penny today when I got my car back I suspect they just fix something. I hope it would leak as much as now my hope of this thing not leaking is gone. One of the old mechanical is tire of fixing this leak already. The moment he saw my car he told me if we need to track down this small leak he have to open up the entire front end again.

I had a 89 nissan 90s subaru and a 2000 chrysler for 10+ years and they never leak a drop. I had a 2001 S8 and never a leak. Am very surprise at the amount of oil leak in this car.

From all the feedback I think this model has major leak problem. I am afraid to by another audi in the future.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chinatown
I just got the car back from the shop. They had told me last week it was leaking from the belt(oil pump) and they either try to replace it or fix it. Since I wasn't charge a penny today when I got my car back I suspect they just fix something. I hope it would leak as much as now my hope of this thing not leaking is gone. One of the old mechanical is tire of fixing this leak already. The moment he saw my car he told me if we need to track down this small leak he have to open up the entire front end again.

I had a 89 nissan 90s subaru and a 2000 chrysler for 10+ years and they never leak a drop. I had a 2001 S8 and never a leak. Am very surprise at the amount of oil leak in this car.

From all the feedback I think this model has major leak problem. I am afraid to by another audi in the future.
You have idiots working on your car IMO. An oil leak is a very simple task to track down.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
You have idiots working on your car IMO. An oil leak is a very simple task to track down.
Meh... Not always. Sometimes you get things like porous castings, slightly undersized replacement seals, or microscopic/heat-dependent cracks that can be very difficult to find. My concern would be that they don't seem to have narrowed down the area of the leak, which should be pretty easy. At this point, they should have a clear, stepped plan of action. (for example: Oil drain plug washer -> Lower oil pan seal -> Lower oil pan replacement -> Upper oil pan replacement -> Arson)

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!