Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Teutonix
Meh... Not always. Sometimes you get things like porous castings, slightly undersized replacement seals, or microscopic/heat-dependent cracks that can be very difficult to find. My concern would be that they don't seem to have narrowed down the area of the leak, which should be pretty easy. At this point, they should have a clear, stepped plan of action. (for example: Oil drain plug washer -> Lower oil pan seal -> Lower oil pan replacement -> Upper oil pan replacement -> Arson)
Those items stated are easily tested for leaks. In hard cases, the engine is cleaned and dye added to the oil. Engine is then run on a lift and a UV light is used to check for any new traces of dye to show up. If it doesn't shows up on a lift, then a brief road test is done and re-inspected again. Porous blocks/heads are rare on engines with mileage on them.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feed back I keep you guys updated. I will check tomorrow under the car.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

O man am giving up on this car. there is still small drips....maybe 2 a day. am tire of tracking this thing down
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chinatown
O man am giving up on this car. there is still small drips....maybe 2 a day. am tire of tracking this thing down

want to sell it?
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pchelka01
want to sell it?
yea am already looking to trade it in for a new car. I just find out the leak is just a bad oil pan gasket. they did not use a gasket they just use to paste. I don't think I want to even fix it. just trade it in for a highland or a pilot. It's a family car only. For fun I also have a 335xi so I think am happy with that. I had it with this car.

If anyone interested let me know
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chinatown
yea am already looking to trade it in for a new car. I just find out the leak is just a bad oil pan gasket. they did not use a gasket they just use to paste. I don't think I want to even fix it. just trade it in for a highland or a pilot. It's a family car only. For fun I also have a 335xi so I think am happy with that. I had it with this car.

If anyone interested let me know
Well I would be interested depending on the price, and location , where are you located
Old 04-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I would be interested depending on the price, and location , where are you located
u can see the car in the forums classified.......I am in New York City. The buttom price am selling is $12500. Thanks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...ct/9417/cat/10
Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

ok the leak is back
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Oil leak 4.2 V8 Allroad

Hey Guys,

I have been tracking down an oil leak that can never be seen even with dye packs and black light. They have replaced the valve covers and gaskets, the front main seal, resealed the oil pan and then a couple of days ago when I was having fun on the highway I blow out the oil pressure sending unit and had oil pour out. I go through 1 quart of oil every 900-1000 miles depending on driving style. I have been told the normal oil consumption on this car is 1500 miles per quart. They are currently fixing the oil pressure sending unit and then will dye pack and test drive looking for the mystery leak. I will post again if something new is discovered.

2004 allroad, 114k miles

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Problem 2005 4.2 V8 Allroad HELP!