Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Oil and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil and warranty

So I have been contemplating replacing the tranny fluids with Redline. Bought 3 quarts MT-90 and 2 quarts 75w90.

Yesterday I am told by my dealership that putting in non-Audi branded oil will constitute waiving my CPO warranty. They also wanted roughly $350 to do it. Just wondering if this is indeed the same experience others have had. If so, I will sit on the oil for a while .
Old 10-21-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BS. If you meet specifications required you can use any brand you want. Link is to law that says.

About 1/4 of the way down:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm#Magnuson-Moss">US Government web site on warranty info</a></li></ul>
Old 10-21-2005, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the dealer should have said..

If you put any oil other than what meets the Audi SPECIFICATION you will void that portion of the CPO warranty.

The less you talk to your dealer... :-)
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

The waiver was for the tranny portion of the CPO (still the same issue though)
Old 10-21-2005, 09:13 AM

Seem to remember using 4-5 quarts MT90, I think . . (wishing I had Bentley on &gt;1 PC)
Old 10-21-2005, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default AoA's response

Just got off the call with AoA and they claim that due to the difficulty in actually removing all of the existing oil from the system that Audi does not recommend switching the tranny oil with anything other than their own. Apparently according to my "advocate" I was advised correctly by the dealership.

I wonder how many dealerships out there are actually taking the oil they pull for tranny related work to see if it is indeed OEM?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"Audi does not recommend" is different from denying warranty.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 AM

Default WTF? Since when are tranny/diff fluids that meet the same spec incompatible?

For instance, you can mix any Dexron III fluid with any other Dexron III fluid, or any Ford type F fluid with any other Ford type F fluid.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: "Audi does not recommend" is different from denying warranty.

Well according to the call she said that the dealership's statement that non OEM oil WOULD waive the warranty for the part it is in.

I surely hope that all your Audi driver's carry around an extra bottle of Audi oil in case you need to work on your tranny in an emergent situation at some local shop without it . Oh, the horror. :P
Old 10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default manuals will take a few oils... the 01V is probably best left alone with the original fluids

01V being the automatic.

Quick Reply: Oil and warranty