Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Ok I have STFA, and have a short shifter question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I have STFA, and have a short shifter question...

Any opinions? Seeing UUC, Toy Guy, Tanoga, Neuspeed, and others. Opinions please?
Thanks.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Toy Guy works for me

Nice short throw. Lateral play is gone. Less notchiness on all upshifts. Slight increase in notchiness downshifting from second into first.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 PM

Default try vastperformance.com

It's basically the same as ToyGuy's shifter, but it will actually show up. Toy Guy has gone flakey on us, I fear, and I won't trust him with any more of my money.

-df
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM

Default I second that, ToyGuy SS is great. . .

I should preface my $0.02 by saying that the n00b FAQ does a really good job of summarizing the consensus, or lack there of, on short shifters.

Last summer, after failing to get in touch with Craig (ToyGuy) after multiple attempts, I decided to get a Tanoga SS instead. Just my humble opinion here, but I could not stand the thing. The bearing assembly, even when finessed to the maximum of my ability (which was the type of thing I did everyday for years as a bike mechanic), was at best equal to the stock shifter. There was no improvement in feel, just a drastic reduction in throw. I ended up going back to the stock shifter which seemed improved by both sliding the whole shift assembly rearward as well as spending a fair amount of time to get the adjustment "just right"

Anyway, a few months later Craig contacts me and we work out what my "dream shifter" would be and he graciously agrees to make me a one-off. Ever since I have been an ecstatic owner of a ToyGuy SS that is about ¾†shorter than stock, with an aprox. 30% throw reduction and an S4-type threaded **** attachment. Keeping the slotted shaft/clamp arrangement of stock just did not make any sense to me, the attachment process is a PITA and precludes the use of any other shifter ****.

What I noticed right away with the ToyGuy shifter is that the absence of lateral play in the assembly directly translates into making the engagement of reverse and 5th/6th silky smooth. The stock shifter, in my experience, had a balance between being able to engage 5th/6th and "acceptably" engaging reverse. It also really seems like the ToyGuy SS actually improves the feel of the whole shifting process, not in a MAJOR way but enough to be very pleasantly surprised. I give it five stars, and being the least expensive of all the after market shifters. . .

FWIW, Craig/ToyGuy has a history of dropping off of the radar for months at a time. He is a great guy, you just might need to be patient, or for all I know he may have a dozen ready to ship . . .

I would be curious to hear what you ultimately decide and your results.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2007784.phtml">n00b FAQ</a></li></ul>
Old 07-29-2005, 01:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have Toy Guy as well.. and to be honest...

Other than a somewhat shorter throw, the feel is the same. IMHO the notchines is not from the shifter in your hand, but the result of the mechanical parts that the shifter connects to, the linkage and the tranny itself. For me its hard to justify the cost of the part and the DIY time to intall it. I liked it at first but I think I didn't want to admit it was a nothing. Now, after a few months with it i really think its no big deal. (My son agrees with me.)
I'm going to spend some time and try to adjust/allign it a bit... perhaps this wil help.

But it really is just a slightly shorter shift lever, perhaps with a better bearing, but again..this does not control the notchiness..that stems from the linkage and the tranny.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:15 AM

Default You know what might help? Hmmm!? A Paulroad DTS! :)

Hey, you gonna email that info for the GIAC upgrade or what?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YGM...
Old 07-29-2005, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Ok I have STFA, and have a short shifter question...

Thanks, all.