Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

OK, no more element, if I can sell my allroad, I'll get a 20th anniversary GTI...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I disagree... every person that I have known that could afford any car

and I mean ANY car, would rather drive a used car then a decked out bimmer. Most of these elite don't feel as if they have to prove their worth and existance by having a fancy car, so it comes down to reliability to point A to point B for them. Sure they have their toy cars, which they get bored with, and either collect dust in a showroom on their estate or gets traded in for a quality assured lexus.
People get into ferraris and audis because of the symbol it carries. It's only a big deal to a person that can't afford it. Most wealthy people I know really don't care what car it is because they have either owned one or don't want to attract attention to themselves by having a 911 turbo. People get ferraris and audis for luxury and in most cases, showing off status of wealth. That's why we put up with the stuff we shouldn't be annoyed with like a wobble, squeeky brakes, and DBW lag. It would be too embarassing to admit these problems to a guy that has a barebone honda with none of these problems. Hmmm who really IS the wiser?
So what... that's not the point. I've noticed (even in my success lately) that the more money a person acquires, the more you fully understand that any car under $100,000US is a terrible waste of money. I've had my share of nice cars that I DID trade in for a reliable car. Hence the allroad. =) Automobiles are a necessity not an investment. Most if not all of my multi-million dollar clients drive used ford trucks because most are too savvy to get anything else.
They put their money elsewhere. Wouldn't we all like to be that responsible?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:43 PM

Default I don't see it this way at all.

First of all, the Audi marque does not carry an automatic status symbol equal to that of the Ferrari, bro. But the main reason I "put up" with the little (and big quirks) I have had with my allroad is because for me, there really is not another car that is comparable. The standard equipment available on every other car falls short in some way or another. You can get AWD, but not a manual transmission. You can get the manual transmission, but not with leather. You can get more powerful engine, but never with a manual trans. Some cars don't have xenons. Others don't have a telematics package.

I did 3 years worth of research and went through 4 cars thinking I "could get used to their deficiencies." I finally had to break down and buy what should have been my first choice.

A man has got to be happy with his car. Point A/Point B is obviously important, but dude, I have to enjoy the in between. No other car can do it for me. And until Honda or Lexus or Ford for that matter manufactures a uniquely styled, powerful, luxury sport hybrid using quality building materials, offering AWD, AND a manual transmission with 6 forwards, an adjustable suspension, Bose, xenons, etc. etc. I will be sticking with the allroad. And its perceived status is irrelevant.

Actually I attracted much more attention in my A4 than in the allroad. Many people even think that I stepped down when I traded the A4 for the ar. I like them thinking that...unique but inconspicuous.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think.........

People that are going to drive boring cars are going to drive boring cars no matter how much money they make.

People that are going to drive exotica are going to drive as much exotica as they can afford.

Odds are the folks that make their money through investments and finance are more geared towards the boring car side and folks that make it in film or sports are going to be inclined towards the more exciting vehicles.

It's a generalization for sure but it is kinda the way things play out IMO.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He's not the only one!
Old 06-03-2003, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And for the most part the average millionaire next door, drives a taurus anyways.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default again your missing the point... its not about feeling its about reliability.

I dont think my clients that have beautiuful houses around the world and more money then we would ever see are anything but boring. I call it smart. I think your confusing boring with practicality.

I wish i was as boring as they are as you say. =)
Old 06-03-2003, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default again grasshopper you are missing the point too.

then ask yourself... would you THEN buy that honda if it had all of your list? Exactly. Its about status. dood. and you can afford it. neb getting a honda and me getting a kia was because we realise that the allroad isn't the holy grail of all cars that you want to make it out to be.
Everyone wants a car like ours because it DOES hold a certain betterthenyou attitude. sorry. prove me wrong and go buy a Kia. I did. With a personnal check like the way I PIFed my allroad.

Again don't get me wrong. I like you searched for the ultimate vehicle for ME. Not an industry standard but because it is an audi and it is awesome. Your confusing personnal option with the discussion which I thought was about reliability and "the status a car holds."

then again. go put on kia badges on the allroad and ask yourself.. would buy it? If you stand true to your statement you prove my point.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Where can I get a Kia badge?

Seriously - if Kia made something this well I would drive it. I'm not ashamed like that. For the past couple of months I have been thinking about getting an Element for its utility, reliability, and practicality. But there again, it falls far short in the amenities dept. Even fully loaded was like bare bones up against the allroad. You should see some of the things I have driven. Heh... Good times.

If you like your Kia, I am happy for you. My fear is no matter what I get after the allroad, I will always be thinking back about the good ole days when I had "the grail" of cars as you like to call it. Oh well. I don't think Kia makes anything which meets my standards at the moment, but if they do produce it, I will buy it - without shame.

However, your argument fails to take into account that if Kia really did make something comparable, it would in very short order carry the same "betterthenyou" symbolism which you (and I) disdain. Sure I like the 'new highness' of my car. The bottom line is - I bought the car not because I am concerned with the automatic status you claim it affords me, but because I like the car. The test of this is that I could have afforded equally pricey cars such as an M3 or even cars that were cheaper in price yet carried a more powerful status symbolism than Audi like the C240. Well - I started with the A4. It didn't have what I wanted. I got the allroad as I should have in the beginning. I still look around all the time at what else is out there, and when I find "the grail" I will let you know, but so far, while she ain't exactly the grail, the allroad comes closer than anything else. Perhaps I have overlooked a Hyundai model or something as mistakes are impossible to avoid. But I feel pretty confident about this one.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default different strokes for different folks....practicality = boring to me.......

I'd rather have less money and spend it all on toys than lots of money tied up in property and investments. But I guess some folks look at money as their toy. Whatever.......life would suck if we were all the same eh......;-)
Old 06-03-2003, 01:10 PM

Default Dude, I like you more and more.

Sorry we started off on the wrong foot a few months back. I think we see things in a similar light.

Quick Reply: OK, no more element, if I can sell my allroad, I'll get a 20th anniversary GTI...