Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Output shaft flange seal installation.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output shaft flange seal installation.

I'm hoping someone can help me before tomorrow so that I don't destroy another oil seal for the transfer case output shaft. Everything was going well today taking everything apart, until I made the mistake of going in the house and telling my wife how well it was all going (at which we were both pleasantly surprised. I went back outside to insert the oil seal into the back plate of the transfer case (or center diff if you prefer) and *@!&$*!!!! I destroyed it. I was gently (well, fairly gently) tapping it in with a large socket and a rubber mallet.

If anyone has any tips on how to get the f***ing thing in the f***ing hole without tearing it up and causing loud cuss words to spill from my mouth, my neighbors would appreciate it. So will my wallet. I'm just glad my local Audi dealer had 2 in stock and was willing to stay open a few minutes late so I could get the part. I bought both just in case! (And yes, I did say Audi dealer... who knew they could be that helpful?... and the seal was only twice as much as my first attempt that I bought online! A mere $48!)

Anyway, huge thanks to anyone that can help me out.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like how you word your post, Made me laugh...Sounds just like me
Not sure how the seal goes in and i am not about to crawl under my car as we have about 6ins of snow
If you are tearing the seal out on the splines as you push it on Wrap some electrical tape around the shaft, working toward the end of the shaft then the seal should slide on with out cutting it on the splines Put some oil on it may help
Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you suggesting I should lube up the rubber then slip it onto the shaft, and gently push it into the tight hole in the rear end of the tranny? I was trying to put the seal in the transfer case first.