Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Piggie Pipes on allroad 6 speed MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piggie Pipes on allroad 6 speed MT

I've been trying to dig up info on a DIY specific to the allroad for downpipes with little luck. I heard that it's doable on the S4, but how hard is it on the allroad, specifically with a manual transmission? I've been getting a warm-up catalyst code, and I feel the performance of my car is suffering, so I might try to get this done before winter.

I will be doing it with the car on ramps/stands as I don't have access to a lift to work on. Is there enough room to get at everything, bolts, o2 sensors and such?

Does anyone have any personal experience with R/R of downpipes on an allroad? Tips or tricks?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like I will be following this DIY for an S4.

http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/b...e-removal.html
Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably more so this one as it's for a 2.7t:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...gies-(For-6spd)
Old 08-08-2013, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes! I just did these!

The allroad has more space than the S4 to work with. Not much, but definitely more.
You actually cannot do piggies on a TIP unless you drop the subframe as the trans is forever huge.
On a manual they just slide out with some wiggling. What year is your car?

You'll need a random assortment of tools, that's for sure. What I can remember specifically are ratcheting wrenches that swivel (holy crap, did they help), Triple Square set (move aside the CV axles), metric allen bits (for the heath shields and the CV heat shields), O2 sensor socket or a 7/8th in-line wrench (worked great for me) and probably some more stuff, but I can't remember.

How mechanically inclined are you? What's been your biggest project? This one was my largest and it was exhausting. The result is fantastic though and worth every minute.

Where are you local to? If you're near we could slam it out together.
I'm local to Pittsburgh.

I'd suggest purchasing exhaust wrap and wrapping the exhaust.

Any other questions?
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Yes! I just did these!

The allroad has more space than the S4 to work with. Not much, but definitely more.
You actually cannot do piggies on a TIP unless you drop the subframe as the trans is forever huge.
On a manual they just slide out with some wiggling. What year is your car?

You'll need a random assortment of tools, that's for sure. What I can remember specifically are ratcheting wrenches that swivel (holy crap, did they help), Triple Square set (move aside the CV axles), metric allen bits (for the heath shields and the CV heat shields), O2 sensor socket or a 7/8th in-line wrench (worked great for me) and probably some more stuff, but I can't remember.

How mechanically inclined are you? What's been your biggest project? This one was my largest and it was exhausting. The result is fantastic though and worth every minute.

Where are you local to? If you're near we could slam it out together.
I'm local to Pittsburgh.

I'd suggest purchasing exhaust wrap and wrapping the exhaust.

Any other questions?
Wow! Thanks for the response! It's an '03 allroad. Let's just say that I know how to turn a wrench. I've done a few big jobs on other VW's before... turbos, clutches, downpipes, head gaskets, etc. I did a downpipe job on a B5 passat with my buddy, so I know how tight these spaces can be. I bet it'll be close to that, but x2.

So you needed to remove the axles from the tranny? In other DIY's it said that just the heat shields needed to be removed.

What kind of swiveling wrench are you talking about? Perhaps you can find an image online to illustrate.

My biggest concern here was just, can it be done on an MT allroad, because I just haven't had any proof before.

When I got the car, my EGT sensors were bad, so I am sure that's the main cause of why I am getting a pre-cat inefficiency codes now that they are fixed. Running a bit lean for how ever long the last owner was running like that probably melted the precats. I also have some WOT power surging, and I thinking that once I open up these cats, I am going to gain a ton of power back.

How long did the whole job take you? The allroad is my winter time daily driver, so I can take my sweet *** time on this job, and hour a day after work for a week or two would probably do it. Did you work on jack stands? I was hoping I could just drive the front on some beefy ramps and have enough room to get the job done.

I'm in WI, so it probably wouldn't be feasible for you to come all the way over here.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

when I say lean, I meant rich. Dang it, how do you edit posts on this forum?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sb_gli
when I say lean, I meant rich. Dang it, how do you edit posts on this forum?
I did not have edit functionality for many years. Finally emailed the admins.

Yes, bad EGTs will ruin cats prematurely. Gut them, if you must pass emissions, install spacers. If no emissions, even better.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
I did not have edit functionality for many years. Finally emailed the admins.

Yes, bad EGTs will ruin cats prematurely. Gut them, if you must pass emissions, install spacers. If no emissions, even better.
No emissions so no worries there, but I'll still either space out the o2 sensors, or better, move them behind the main cat.

I just got the gaskets, nuts and studs today. Guess I can start giving this a go whenever.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

These are enticing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-A4-S4-2-7L-B5-V6-97-02-Bi-TURBO-DECAT-DOWNPIPES-VERSION-2-BRAIDED-FLEX-/270986208424?#description
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got under the car to see what I am up against here. Looks like wheels off on jack stands is the way to go. How exactly do you get to the top axle shield bolt? That sucker looks pretty in there. Do you get it out working through the wheel well? Everything else looks pretty doable to me.

Quick Reply: Piggie Pipes on allroad 6 speed MT