Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Piggie pipes DIY on allroad- easier?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piggie pipes DIY on allroad- easier?

I think I read it here but the damn STFA isnt working still. There was some mention about doing Piggies DIY on the allroad being easier than the S4.

Something about dropping the crossmember or something.. anyone have some info or pics? I have no issue following the S4 guide(s), but I dont want to go loosening random bolts that aid me at all.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gotta check www.allroadfaq.com.. link inside

<ul><li><a href="http://allroadfaq.com/downloads/mods/piggiepipes.pdf">piggies ala RMcQ</a></li></ul>
Old 03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: gotta check www.allroadfaq.com.. link inside

Yeah, Ive read that. The very first paragraph starts with the DPs already out of the car! Its the steps before that I was questioning.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can't gut the cat materials and get it out witout removing the pipes.

The guts would just slide down the pipes.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: You can't gut the cat materials and get it out witout removing the pipes.

Think we crossed wires here. I know I have to remove the DPs. Ive done it on my S4 before. Im following a S4 centric guide, but there are additional hoses on the allroad and the DP bolt positions seem to be slightly rotated, I cant reach the top one. This is not how it was on my S4 or in the guide.

I read previously its meant to be easier on the allroad and something about dropping the engine down while supporting it on a jack. I just wanted more info on the actual removal process on the allroad. Gutting the precats will be comparitively easy when I get to that point.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

gotta drop the engine a bit to do it.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default To update on my own question

For anyone else doing this later, I undid the bolts on the subframe (as if installing an AWE DTS, see their install guide) then threaded them back in slightly. I supported the engine with a hydraulic jack on the transmission (not sure if that is the trans actually, its to the left of the car near the oil pan). If anyone knows a better place to support, please advise. I also put a tripod Jack stand upsidedown (so the "tripod" legs point up) under the Oil pan as a precaution.

When lowering the bolts you can see the area you need to get at (assuming you have removed the driveshaft shields and the hose clip on the DP heatshields) from the side of the car, as opposed directly under it. May still have to get the top bolt on the DP from above tho. Gale force winds chased me out of my garden and cut the project short again.