Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Pirelli vs. Goodyear. Just checked TireRack prices and

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli vs. Goodyear. Just checked TireRack prices and

the Pirelli is $108/each and the Goodyear is $161/each.

Anyone have any experience to suggest that the Goodyear is really worth more money, let alone $53/each?!

I have Goodyear now, and they are fine, anyone have any negatives on the Pirelli?

Paul<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare2.jsp?compare=true&partNumber=&make=&model= &price=&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=allroad&autoYear=2 001&width=225%2F&ratio=55&diameter=17&sortCode=&sp eedRating=&qty=&stockMessage=&type=T&URL=&newCompa re=
Old 05-07-2002, 09:31 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Replacing OEMs?

As far as I recall, no one has had much good to say about either the Pirelli or Goodyear OEM tires that come on the allroads. (I, in fact, have had a lot bad to say about my Pirellis -- they work like skiis in snow; they wear quite fast.)

There are lots of choices in the stock size, and I'd recommend reading TireRack's reviews of them before deciding what to go with. But keep in mind that this is an expensive car, and putting cheap tires on it is being penny-wise and pound-foolish. HPH
Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM

No problems here with the Pirelli's. Noisy though.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Pirelli vs. Goodyear. Just checked TireRack prices and

Mine came with the Pirelli's and will be replacing them within the month. Have a little over 20k.
Handling was so -so. Past threads indicated the Michelin's were the way to go. I believe they are in the same price range as the Goodyear's.
Harry
Old 05-07-2002, 02:19 PM

Default Replaced mine with Michelins

I just replaced the Pirelli's with Michelin MXV4 Energy's from TireRack. The Pirelli's were noisy and drove like skis in the snow. I replaced them early (12,500 mi) because I was sick of the handling and figured I may as well enjoy the new tires while I drive the car. If these Michelins wear out before the lease (at 50,000 miles) I'll tack the noisy things back on for the last while before I turn her in. And the difference is incredible.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default At 39,000 mi I replaced my Goodyears w/Pirellis. The Goodyears were better.

I've driven ~16,000 mi on the Pirelis and I find them a tiny bit noiser and they don't grip as well in the snow. I'm going to switch back to Goodyears then the Pirelis wear out. I doubt they'll last as long as the Goodyears.
Old 05-07-2002, 06:11 PM

Default If you don't go offroad and lives in warm climate

then you should go for something like a Bridgestone S-03, which is approx. 100 times better than the OEM tires.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:30 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default The noise of the P6s is also noted below...

...and is something I hadn't thought of -- yet another reason not to like 'em.

Maybe I just got used to it early on. And I expect that's why I don't consider my Dunlop M2 snow tires to be noisy. So I've got something to look forward to -- quieter tires. HPH
Old 05-08-2002, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I replaced my Pirellis with Michelin Pilot Sports

At 13,500 miles, the Pirellis were toast. I love the Pilots. They are quiet, good in the snow and great in the rain and dry pavement.
Old 05-08-2002, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So how have you liked the Dunlops?

Since my Pirellis have over 11k on them, they aren't going to have enough tread for the next winter. I am considering getting the Dunlops for winter.

I've got some 18's with S03s for summer use and wanted to keep the stock set up for winter/offroad. Here's the dilemma:
-Do I go for the Pirellis again which were OK in the snow but not great.
-Try the Goodyears which probably are about the same in snow as the Pirellis
-Get the Dunlops which will be great in snow but probably would not want to take them off road.

Quick Reply: Pirelli vs. Goodyear. Just checked TireRack prices and