Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Power Steering... weird sounds???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering... weird sounds???

Anyone else ever find their power steering noisy and shaky after a cold start? I just picked up my car at the airport... a weekend in the garage with temps in the low 50's to high 40's.

Car acted like it hadn't been run for a year? Steering was really weird in the parking lot... then on the highway, the car had a steady vibration... as if the tires were cold? Is this a reason for vibration?

I am going to take it to the dealer, but would welcome any insight...

Jasper
04 AR
GIAC ECU & TIP
Old 11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

did you check the level?
Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Used to happen in my A4...

when the hydraulic fluid level would drop too low.

I had a leak in the system somewhere, but never bothered to have it researched. Dealers have a field day with requests like that.

You should check the level, but DO NOT add just any hydraulic fluid. I went to Audi and bought a bottle of their hydraulic fluid, "Liquid Gold" they called it, and filled it when necessary...Dealer told me to be sure I used their fluid...part number on the bottle is G 002 000. They should fill it when you need it, but get it just in case you're not near a dealer when it starts asting up...it's an aweful sound.

I'd have the car looked at. You shouldn't be low on hydraulic fluid, ever, but especially on an '04.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:54 PM

Default having same issue...

I am having the same issue right now. Only when cold. The sound and vibrations are gone when the car is warm. If it would be a low fluid level it wouldn't disappear, right? Bringing it in tonight for them to start early in the morning.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It would disappear after warm-up with low fluid...

When the car is off, the fluid returns to the resevoir. When its started back up, the fluid circlulates and takes time to reach all of its locations. With low fluid level, it will obviously take time to circulate. If you turn the wheels before the fluid has reached the steering system, it will make that aweful sound. The hydraulic fluid in your Audi does more than lube the power steering which is why you can't just use power steering fluid.
Old 11-23-2004, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default "Liquid Gold" they called it

Reminds me of a mistake my dealer once made.
They filled it up on my A4 and used 0.25 Liters, however they charged me (by mistake) for 25 Liters
Yep it sure is "Liquid Gold"...
Old 11-23-2004, 06:42 AM

Default Re: It would disappear after warm-up with low fluid...

Well, I did check the level and it was low but still on the dipstick. Added fluid and it seems to be fine again. The amount we had to add was maybe about a cup. We'll see if more fluid will disappear this time. It almost seems to be the same issue as with the coolant; the difference between low and high level is very small. Thanks for your and yz's help and I think you were right on.