Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Problem with Front Driveshaft Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Front Driveshaft Removal

In the middle of removing front driveshaft to replace torn boot and I've hit a snag. Removed pinch bolt and upper control arms then went to remove driveshaft hub from transmission. Looks like a Torx 50 but when I try and remove bolts it doesn't fit. Is there a special tool for this? What have others used? Nothing mentioned in eBahn. Thanks, Thom
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomHart
In the middle of removing front driveshaft to replace torn boot and I've hit a snag. Removed pinch bolt and upper control arms then went to remove driveshaft hub from transmission. Looks like a Torx 50 but when I try and remove bolts it doesn't fit. Is there a special tool for this? What have others used? Nothing mentioned in eBahn. Thanks, Thom
It's a triple square bit. Any reputable auto parts store will have them (usually in a set of four). Those little bastards fooled me when I pulled my engine and tranny last fall That should be the only specialty tool needed for that job though. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

it is basically a 12 point bit, torx is 6 point. Your FLAPS should have it available.

Last edited by thejulex; 02-13-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It will also be done up insanly tight. Its 150Nm plus a further 180 degrees!! I sheared a socket set adaptor undoing one of mine. Easiest to loosen it before undoing pinch bolt/arms etc when wheels still on the ground, sometimes helps if a 2nd person pushes the brakes at same time.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like you are doing a lot more work than need be done mate:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...le-replacement
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Three Words

Seafoam Deep Creep. This is my insurance policy for getting all stuck bolts out. And trust me you usually don't know how stuck it is until you strip the mother effer.

Other recommendations, get your wife or girlfriend to pump the brake and pop the clutch in and out for you so you don't spend all day back and forth between the drivers seat and the ground.

This is not too bad a job but Kudos to you for knuckling down and getting in there.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 09mehashaw
Sounds like you are doing a lot more work than need be done mate:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...le-replacement
I'm replacing my driver side thurs. Reading that write-up reminded me it's still just an axle. I like that allroad btw.

I've heard, if running into problems removing axle, disconnecting the lower arm can help
Old 02-14-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Pulling the shield off the inner CV is key. I had my pinch bolts soaking for two days before I started this repair. First side I tried to take the control arm pinch bolt and tie rod pinch bolt out for axle removal and re-installation. Stripped the completely frozen control arm pinch bolt, broke the tie rod pinch bolt. Including trip to the hardware store...first side took 4hrs. Second side...45min. Leave the pinch bolts the f%!* alone!!!

Also, for removing the inner CV flange bolts (where it bolts to trans), no need for a second person, the car to be in gear or anything. Just (provided the wheels are choked) put two or three of your lug bolts back into the hub. Using a breaker bar (I used a piece of re-rod), position it between two of the lug bolts so that when you are breaking the inner bolts free, the re-bar, in conjunction with the the fact the the floor of your garage isn't going anywhere anytime soon, wont allow the axle to spin. Removing all 6 of these bolts took me <5min.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 12vWhat
Leave the pinch bolts the f%!* alone!!!
LOL, agreed, avoid at all cost...mine were a bitch when I replaced my front bags.