Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Programming Homelink feature?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming Homelink feature?

I just tried to program one of the buttons in the allroad's Homelink system to open my Sears Craftsman garage door opener, and get no action.

Has anyone done this, and does the procedure that works DIFFER from the simplistic procedure in the owner's manual?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a Sears opener too and I had no trouble when following the correct procedure.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too have a Craftsman and have the same problem. The manual states to hold the chosen button on the homelink down. Simultaneously hold down the garage door opener button about 1-3 inches away from the homelink unit. The homelink unit will blink slowly at first and then blink fast as it learns the code. This information also came from the Homelink.com website. However mine blinks quickly as soon as I press down the opener button , but never opens the garage door. Of course the sight of your garage door constantly jerking up and down while you're trying to train the unit is worth the effort.

Oh it also said you might have to reset the homelink unit first by holding down the two outer buttons for about 20 secs.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mendelo
Oh it also said you might have to reset the homelink unit first by holding down the two outer buttons for about 20 secs.
^^ This is definitely required before you try to code it. You also must do it after any failure before the next attempt.
Good luck!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How old is your garage door opener? The newer ones use a revolving code. These require you to also push a button on the back of the garage door mechanism to program a new remote.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

JC has it...

I was just about to post that most new openers have a 'learn' button that basically syncs the code to your homelink...

(the manual supplement has excellent instructions for it !!! )
Old 01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm following the procedure in the owner's manual to the letter, and my opener is a "newer" one (2000) with a revolving code. Does the Bently manual have any better instructions?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brider
I'm following the procedure in the owner's manual to the letter, and my opener is a "newer" one (2000) with a revolving code. Does the Bently manual have any better instructions?
These are the instuctions off the website. They website even has a picture showing the locations of the tramsitter by the head light. www.homelink.com

Programming HomeLink
1.For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink® buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink® indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink® buttons.)
2.Press the appropriate HomeLink® button I, II or III which you want to train and keep holding it until the indicator light starts flashing slowly. Once the indicator light starts flashing slowly, you may release the button. HomeLink® is now in "training mode."

You will now have 5 minutes to train your hand held transmitter to the HomeLink® transmitter in the bumper.
3.Stand in front of your vehicle with the original hand held transmitter for the gate or garage door opener (or other device) that you wish to train.

The transmitter unit to be trained is located beneath the right headlight.
4.Hold the original hand held transmitter between 3-5 inches from the location described above, pointing at your car. NOTE: The distance between the hand held transmitter and the HomeLink® transmitter unit in the bumper depends on the system being trained. It may require several attempts at different distances in order to pick up the signal.
5.Now press and hold the button on your original hand held transmitter while keeping your hazard warning lights in view. The hazard warning lights will blink three times to indicate that the training has been successful.

Note: If the training time exceeds the five minutes, the hazard warning lights blink once. If this happens, you should repeat steps 2 to 5.
6.Press and hold the trained HomeLink® button and observe the indicator light. ◦If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink® button is pressed and released.
◦If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker & easier.

7.At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual, or contact us.
8.Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
9.Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink® button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah - one other thing...
when the wife's audi is pulled forward into the garage or
too close to the doors OR pointed away from the doors,
the homelink doesn't work on out 2005 model doors...

the previous cars homelink worked with these doors, but audi's must have directional signal that's forward facing only or something as we have to 'point' the car toward the door to get it to work...

NOW, it does work from half a block away as I'm coming around the circle, but in my driveway next to the door before I turn toward the garage, it won't work

good luck