Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

PSA - if you totally remove the SAIP system (including scuba hoses), it's loud as heck.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PSA - if you totally remove the SAIP system (including scuba hoses), it's loud as heck.

Just saying. I am in the middle of something, and the hose is off. I gather (now) that the valves that allow air into the manifold are not sprung closed - they're just plain opened up when the air pump is activated.

Pretty crazy. Ray, if you see this, this is why the takeoff hoses were so dirty with exhaust (and possibly explaining the brittleness) - exhaust is able to pour backwards into the pump when it malfunctions.

Oh yes, more SAI system data - those pumps are amazingly effective when running. ShowCeData/Ray and I bench tested a rebuild last weekend, and the flow was impressive, like 2 or 3 hairdryers strong.

Best,
Bob
Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trango -- was anything broken or were you just bored?

either way -- great stuff.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Two to Three hair-dryers strong..LOL....just plug scuba hose where pump attached &...

Bob is never bored...just always doing added/needed research to advance this forum into the next century!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh noes! Sorry to hear you're "hosed" b/c of your parts donation.

Did you find a price on that snorkel yet?

My car still hasn't thrown the CEL again - yay!

And he's hose-less because he gave me his. When we were replacing the SAIP on my car, the hoses broke in several places. they were apparently embrittled from the exhaust backflowing thru them for too long. We theorized that since he didn't have a pump installed, it wouldn't matter if he didn't have the hoses either. Not exactly right...

Oh, and that SAIP? It takes huge current to get it turning! We tried to bench test it using a battery charger, and couldn't get it to turn on even using the "50A Start mode". But when we put jumper cables to a car battery and the pump - VROOOM.

I never would have thought such a small motor could have such a high current draw - you learn something every day.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not hosed at all! I let it idle for 1 minute, the noise goes away...

...heck, I drove it to and from the airport with my boss in the car earlier this week. No worries whatsoever!

I still need to track down why I'm not getting 12v to that SAIP.

EDIT - no price yet on the snorkel... not really worried as of yet.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just a standard excerpt from the North Denver allroader SkĂźnkwerks research logs.

I keed I keed! Check Showmedata's post for the details.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok so I just realized, if you are not getting any more CEL, then we found a reliable SAIP rebuilder:

<ul><li><a href="http://www.cvjreman.com/">http://www.cvjreman.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default check big maxi fuse & relay in the control unit box. if you unplug the vacuum lines to the

kombi valves or just unplug the electrical connection to the vacuum valve you will stop the exhaust from coming back through when it tries to activate.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks heaps - all great info! PS your exhaust is darn clean!

I gutted my stock mufflers for better flow on the cheap and easy, and welded them back in with SS wire and argon in the MIG - they have total frankenstein scars on them!

Your exhaust, on the other hand, is surgically clean. Good work!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 AM

Default You just kill me Bob, but good to know as I thought about yanking mine as I

haven't gotten it fixed yet...I have the part but have some other stuff I want done at the same time and just waiting for a spare vehicle for the duration. Thanks for all of your research and moreover your sharing of the findings

Quick Reply: PSA - if you totally remove the SAIP system (including scuba hoses), it's loud as heck.