Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Question about Brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Brakes...

I totally love my allroad, but I believe the brakes a little lacking. I have recently been experiencing something with the front brakes that just doesn't seem right. After a few hard braking sessions (outside temp is in the 70's - I live in Seattle...) when I apply the brakes to stop - just a regular braking at an intersection, it feels like they are slipping on rubber - like when you rub a balloon and your hand slips on the rubber (kind of jumps) and makes that distinct sound. Bear with me on this description. Finding the right way to describe something - without sounding totally stupid is a challenge. This isn't the normal squeeking sound that a glazed rotor would make. It feels and sounds different. I have almost 3000 miles on the car.

I've been reading a bit on upgrading the brakes (bigger rotors for both front and rear) but am not sure if I want to go down that road.

Any comments from the crowd on my experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:27 PM

Default Experiencing a similar problem...

When I first took delivery about a month ago, there was a very noticeable shuddering coming from the front brakes when braking hard. I brought the car in, it was determined that the front rotors were warped (something that I understand is not uncommon with Allroads), they were replaced and the problem went away.

However, shortly thereafter I began experiencing a problem very similar to the one you describe - very good description of the sound by the way.

Unfortunately, this happens intermittently and I know if I brought it to the dealer, I wouldn't be able to make it happen.

When I bring it in for service I will have them look at it. If you find out what's causing it, please post a message or email me. I will do the same.

Stephen
Old 08-01-2001, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for feedback...

I think I'll wait until scheduled service to address with dealer.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Question about Brakes...

I've had the car act like a bucking bronco on some streets in seattle. it felt like the traction control, abs and esp kicked in all at once when one of my wheels went into a pothole :-)

the car was not unstable, but very unnerving.

I guess they don't have potholes in deutschland...
Old 08-02-2001, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've had this happen a few times

Hard to describe, almost like a "boing" sound crossed with a "hum." Sounds crazy but it's very distinctive.

Happens when breaking when the front wheels are on something slippery or rough. Especially downhill.

Maybe 6 or 7 times overall in 6 months.
Old 08-03-2001, 08:21 AM

Default Re: I've had this happen a few times

I'm SURE that I have heard this noise, but it has only occurred a few times when I am breaking and hit a pothole or some other type of bump at a low speed, like coming to a stoplight. Other people in the car with me have heard it too. You have described the noise I hear so well, as it is VERY distinctive. I wonder why I am getting the same noise under apparently different circumstances. I'm quite sure I was not going downhill, and I'm fairly sure the wheels are not on anything slippery. I'm not sure what you mean by rough? Pothole rough?
Old 08-07-2001, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Slippery, bumpy, rough...

Rough like potholes, railroad tracks, BMW salesmen, etc.

It's happened less than 10 times, but all have been in situations where the front wheels have traction issues. It doesn't seem to cause a lack of breaking power, it just sounds funny.

I'm about 1K away from a service, I'll get it checked...
Old 08-07-2001, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Slippery, bumpy, rough...

I've had this happen also. I describe it as a big cartoon "sproinnng" after hitting a pothole or coming over a small road mogul while braking. Dealer looked at it at the 5K and did something to the parking brake. I think there is a long lead that traverses the underside of the car.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I've had this happen a few times

Brian,

I look forward to your response about the brakes. I was going to refer jinskeep to this session, but it looks like he found it.

I drove to Portland and back this past weekend and never encountered this braking problem.

I do get the boing type sensation when going over Seattle's rough roads. Those roads include potholes, railroad tracks, roughly patched potholes. This happens either on flat surfaces or going down hill. I live on Queen Anne hill and so am always going down major hills.

Someone had suggested it (the boing and the "rubbing rubber sound")has to do with the ABS/ESP being highly sensitive and engaging perhaps too much. I might do an experiment for the next week or so and drive with the ESP turned off.

I'll post with the results.