Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Random microwaves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 03:09 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random microwaves?

I suppose there are forums (fora?) for this, but I'm lazy and maybe some of you folks know:

Do some vehicles (not cop vehicles) leak microwaves?

My Passport was chirping in the X band intermittently on the way home today, and it seemed to occur mostly in the vicinity of one particular pickup, a new one. Could it be that the pickup had a backup-sensor that was turned on or something?

It was sufficiently intermittent that the chirping kept resetting and going off. Annoying. HPH
Old 05-08-2002, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Valentine 1 freaks out behind Chevy Trailblazers & GMC Envoys.

They set off the laser detection & it is extremely annoying. It is also intermittant. Since these were the car of choice during the Olympics there are hundreds of them on the street now around SLC. Grrrrrr...

There have been a few discussions about this on the S4 board about other cars sending off false alarms. It could also come from THEIR radar detector if they are using a crappy one.

For instance - last summer we were heading to Las Vegas on I-15. We are out in the middle of nowhere & I was overtaking the only other car in sight at about 85 mph. As I got to about 5 car lengths behind this guy, my K band goes bezerk. K band is always a cop right?

I hit the brakes and tuck behind the other car. He was going 70-75. I follow him for 3-5 miles and the K band is still going strong & the V1 arrow was pointing ahead. No cop in sight.

I decide to pass the guy and sure enough, as I slowly pass him, the arrow points to the side and then behind me as he was passed. After I got a 100 yards from him the signal dies off. As I passed I noticed he had a radar detector mounted on the visor.

Check out the link below to V1's website about false alarms from other cars.<ul><li><a href="http://www.valentine1.com/lab/Previously7.asp">http://www.valentine1.com/lab/Previously7.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 05-08-2002, 04:24 PM

Default Yup - My V1 does this sometimes - Seems to

be near cars with those "sensor" things in bumpers and also near some 18 wheelers,,, and yes as MarkFrank says some of those trialblazers... (they may have those sensor things..

Yes it is annoying, but still the V1 saved me 5 times this last week on an 1400 mile drive
Old 05-08-2002, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bizarre. Just yesterday I had to turn it off from Vail to Denver because it was full on in X mode

It was driving me crazy and I couldn't figure out what it was. I assumed it was something "leaking" that was pacing me within a certain distance but never had the experience before.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, the 3rd brake light on those trucks use red LEDs, about the same frequency as red lasers...
Old 05-08-2002, 05:59 PM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

Default Whew. Glad I'm not alone...

It must be that this "noise" affects not only detectors but also the receivers in police cars -- so the noise must, to some extent, jam the radar systems.

So, Mark, it's amusing to think of all those fine, upstanding, church-going citizens of Salt Lake City driving around jamming police enforcement tools. Hee hee. HPH
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha ha! Ignorance is bliss. :-)
Old 05-09-2002, 09:08 AM

Do you have the Passport 8500? I have mine set "X off", no false alarms.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:58 AM
HPH
AudiWorld Super User

We got real X radars around here, so, no. Thought of it, though.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:51 AM

That's too bad...the only "X" band I've noticed are automatic door openers at the grocery stores.

Quick Reply: Random microwaves?