Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Rear Ended

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Ended

While at a dead stop waiting for a car 3 cars in front of her to turn left, my wife was rear ended by a 20 year old driving a rental car. The rental car, a Hyundai, was under the rear of allroad up to it's windshield. The Hyundai is surely totaled, and with the damage under the allroad, it may be totaled as well. If that wasn't bad enough, she was following me, and the impact cause her to rear end me in my truck, so our allroad has damage on both ends. No one was seriously injuried thank's to the airbag deployment on the Hyundai and the allroad's ability to absorb the impact. This happened early Friday afternoon and I have yet to hear from their insurance company!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't want the car back......

with the complexities of the AR, I wouldn't want the car back. I can imagine the wobbles let alone it's ability to absorb another crash after repair.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not many rental companies will rent to 20 year-olds

Glad everyone is OK.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's a great way to ruin a weekend. Sorry to hear.

Glad the family is OK. Get a trusted body shop to look at the car and do battle with the insurance company.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Not many rental companies will rent to 20 year-olds

It was rented in his parent's name, his car was in the shop. I can just imagine the difficulties I am going to have!
Old 11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I don't want it back........

but I may not have a choice. It's a fully optioned 2003 with only 20K on it, so $28K+ in damage would need to be estimated to total the car.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Not many rental companies will rent to 20 year-olds

Be ready with a good attorney ...

If the kid's name was not on the rental agreement as a driver (which it probably was not), any rental insurance will not pay. The family's own auto MIGHT pay, but then again might not as he was not an authorized driver of the rental car. Be thankful it's only metal and mechanics, when people get hurt the numbers get real big.

Dad should have driven the rental ... but then again he probably had a nicer car than the Hyundai ... kid driving dad's car would be covered ... expensive lesson.

Good luck.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default At least if they are well off enough to rent a car for the kid they probably own a home

and have either homeowners or some kind of umbrella policy that might cover this. Or at least they probably have assets that will not allow them to skate like some other uninsured motorists.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry for the hit..(s)...but glad the people are OK...

Insurance company's usualy total whe the damage get to be 60-70% of the cars WHOLESALE value. Take it to an Audi dealer..proobably the most expensive body shop around and let them work their magic. If its a lease then you have GAP coverage from Audi so all your exposure is only the deductible.. if they total it.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wow. Sorry to hear, but glad that you and the wife are okay.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended