Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Rear (not rearfacing) seat removal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear (not rearfacing) seat removal!

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat? I need it out to install an old-fashioned lap belt style seatbelt in the middle to better hold in a kid's booster seat firmly in place. This was quite easy in my A4 but it will not budge in the allroad.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2001, 07:47 PM

Default The dealer removed mine for the ISOFIX / LATCH fitting

They said it was pretty tough but you just pull it out. Actually, I think someone else posted some info about fitting the ISOFIX themselves and talked about how to remove the seat base. Do a search for LATCH or ISOFIX.

You do realize that lap belts are incredibly dangerous if worn by a passanger in any accident. Most people in serious accidents these days kill their passengers with lap belts on whilst everyone else with a lap / sash walk away.

I assume you tried the locking retractor on the booster seat, if it is just holding it in place not strapping the seat in. The other alternative is the ISOFIX attachments which are the securest way to attach a child seat but I haven't looked into any booster seats yet !
Old 08-17-2001, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for the info...

I am using the lapbelt to hold the seat in place and using the 5 point within the booster to hold the child. The lapbelt combined with the tether makes it so the booster in the A4 does not move AT ALL, even side to side. I think I will have a permanent indentation in the back seat after a few years of it being in place it is so tight.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default As a NHTSA* Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician ... (verbose)

... use of the Child Safety Seat (CSS) restraint system to secure the child also depends primarily on your child's weight and the weight rating on the booster seat with and without webbing.

So for example, if the crash tested weight rating of the CSS webbing is 60lbs. and your child is 70lbs., it would be appropriate on some CSS's to remove the webbing and use the CSS as a belt-positioning booster using the vehicle restraints to also secure the child - as opposed to only securing the CSS. Most high-back booster seats should have the removable CSS webbing option with a different weight rating.

<A HREF="http://www.safekids.org/tier3_cd.cfm?content_item_id=1133&folder_id=540">S tatistics show that approx. 85% of CSS's in use today are incorrectly used/installed.</A> Although, here in Texas our observations indicate over 95%.

So, I suppose the next step would be to check the weight rating of the CSS with restraints (and without if they are removable). Most CSS belt systems I've seen are rated to 60lbs max ... few exceptions are rated to 80lbs.

Good luck!

*NHTSA - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration