Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Recommend you all check your power steering fluid level. (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend you all check your power steering fluid level. (Long)

Allroad really performs differently if the power steering fluid is a bit low. I have an 03 allroad and had never personally checked the fluid level in the power steering unit. My experience through the years with tens of other cars was that unless you saw a spot on the driveway, no need to bother checking the level. After all, the dealer checks all the fluid levels at each service...well maybe! Friday, I started hearing a moaning sound coming from the power steering unit. Turned out the level was very low. I bought a litre of the special fluid Audi and VW use, and then topped off the fluid. Yes, that corrected the noise issue. But most importantly, it made my allroad steer and handle significantly better than ever! Gone is that slight twitch of the steering wheel that crops up around 50 MPH. And it is now very easy to steer a fine line driving through mountain twisties. Steering is no longer vague. It finally feels the way a luxury sports vehicle should. This leads me to believe that the power steering fluid level was never correct, despite pre-delivery inspection, 10K service, and two additional oil changes at the dealership. Will address this with the service manager when I take the allroad in for its 20K service on Monday. But for you fellow allroaders, I strongly recommend that you check the fluid level. Low fluid could explain why so may folks are unhappy with the steering on allroads.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Low fluid here also, caught it before encountering your issues. Also,

my oil was low this morning. No oil spots anywhere in my garage.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Recommend you all check your power steering fluid level. (Long)

9 out of 10 cars I get a day or low on power steering fluid. And with no leaks. Somehow that stuff just evaporates. Some cars quicker than others. Occasionly you see one actually leaking but not very often. Keep that fluid handy.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Low fluid here also, caught it before encountering your issues. Also,

My "OIL IS LOW" light came on this summer, at around 20K miles, maintained by Audi on the schedule intervals. The car was 2 quarts low!!! I thought only my Porsche burned oil?..... no leaks here either, just burns some oil!! (we actually said it was probably the ghost of the Porsche sucking the allroad dry after it had gone thru all of ITS oil! who knows what cars do in the garage alone at night.............)
Old 11-02-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Prior to my car loosing oil, I did smell strange odor from the exhaust, no

loss of performance though. I just make it point to check the oil every week or so and keep extra oil in the garage.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Me too, just checked - 3 weeks after stealer serviced! Should

I go back and demand top off? Is it a special fluid requirement, or available at auto parts stores?
Old 11-02-2003, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Special German fluid. Buy at Audi or VW for $22 a litre.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Special German fluid. Buy at Audi or VW for $22 a litre.

I am not sure if this is still the case (it probably is), but with the older Audi's if you put in the standard steering fluid you get at the local Autozone or Pep Boys it will eat away at the seals until your whole steering system is leaking like a sieve.

Gavin
Old 11-02-2003, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Must use the special fluid. Different chemicals than US fluid.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why do we have to buy it, isn't it included in the warranty?

Quick Reply: Recommend you all check your power steering fluid level. (Long)